New build with no video output

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Im a NEWB at computers this is my first build and im having problems with video output the monitor works
and ive tried vga cable, dvi cable,dvi/hdmi connector, dvi/vga connector, svideo to component and i still get no signal there is no onboard video i can see i reset the bios by removing the battery for five minutes i tried both PCIE slots i even went and bought a diamond stealth x1550 i have no beeps from the motherboard

all the fans work on the motherboard, cpu and the HD4850 so its getting power. there are two red leds that are lit. Is that normal?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

Graphics Card: VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard - Retail

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK - Retail

PSU: Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail

i would appreciate any and all help thanks in advance.

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
i plugged the 12v PCIE connector on the MOBO as well as on the Card on the 4850 the diamond does not have a power plug on the card so i just used the on on the MOBO

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
The Diamond video card is the Stealth x1550 which has no power connector the Visiontek Radeon HD 4850 does and i did connect it as well as the PCIE power supply on the MOBO

This sort of problem can come from a wide range of things, especially when it's your first build.

You need to carefully check everything, make sure it's seated right.

24 pin ATX connection
8 pin CPU connection
Verify any jumpers on the board are correctly set.
Take out memory except first stick.
Make sure all the small connections are in the right spot. CPU fan, case switch, case reset switch.

It's possible that your BIOS needs to be adjusted to run the memory.
If it won't boot with one stick, try the other.

Make sure the motherboard is only making contact on the back side, with the standoffs. Make sure the only stand offs in place are the ones lined up with the holes. If a single standoff is touching the motherboard in the wrong place that would be a big problem.

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
i ran the different memory combinations with both video cards as well as taking out the mobo and placing it on a cardbard box to ensure no grounds on the case and still no effect i checked all the power supplies as well

if its the bios how do i flash it w/o being able to see what im doing any ideas

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
yes the monitor is plugged and was verified to work throught the vga out on the laptop i have and had great resolution

Thanks Proximon im gonna try some 800 hz memory off the list you provided

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Try an out of the case build with only one part each, CPU, Ram, Video, PSU and see if you can get to the post screen.
Insure that all motherboard standoff posts are correct in the case.
There is no reason for you system not to post with the ram you have, you will have to increase the ram voltage to get it to run well, but it should post.
Make sure the CPU is compatible with the motherboard, it should be but I have seen where this can be an issue.
Like everyone else said make sure all the required connections to power are made.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007

i agree...do what he says :)
try clearing your bios through jumper...you might have to do it many times before it can properly work...also if you have a friend try using your video card in his pc. Or try a different monitor, this happened with me once, so i swapped the monitor and everything started working. Lastly make sure that your processor is sitting properly on the motherboard

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
one more thing you said your motherboard has 2 leds that light up...usually that is an error code, call gigabyte and ask em what 2 red led's mean, or maybe refer to a manual...i have the same mechanism with my DFi motherboard; it has red lights which are usually error code and help diagnose any problem. .....can you try running pc 800 ram instead of pc 1066? that can make a huge difference and it usually solves many power/ nonbooting/ video issues...hope this helps man...fixing pc's can be extremely frustrating.
1 more thing, make sure your pc is not being shorted, if your pc is shorted it will boot up but nothing else will happen...no windows...no video....all the fans will run but thats it

try the steps that i highlighted

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
If those two RED LEDS are part of the set of five[x2] or so at the bottom of the mobo they are trouble leds check your manual as to their meaning,,ALSO get rid of the rosewill PSU and get a better one ,like OCZ,Enermax,PCPower also check your mobo's manual and the QVL list for ram compatibility,just remember they are not gospel just a guide,I am presently using ram that is not on my mobo's QVL or in the manual,,go figure..:>)

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
the two red leds are part of the video card and they are always on i couldnt find anything relating to them on visiontek's site.

i have already taken the motherboard out with just the basics and still no video. Im going to go buy some 800 hz ram and try it out i thing the AM2+ socket is the only one that is compatible with the 1066Hz ram this CPU is just an AM2

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm leaning towards agreeing with Shadowthor and Roadrunner. For your earlier post, it sounds like you used a 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged into the 4/8-Pin CPU power connector. The image Roadrunner linked shows the 8-Pin CPU Power connector (4 closed). Your Power supply has either a 4-pin or 8-pin CPU Power cable. Make sure this is the cable you have plugged into the CPU power port.

Search Google for "4850 LEDs" and you're find a few posts concerning the LEDs signalling a 12V power error.

-Wolf sends

prieto520

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
problem solved i was retarted and didnt have the 4 pin cable to the motherbaord connected thanks everyone and sorry for the frustration i didnt realize that there was an additional connection to the motherboard other than the 20+4 and the pcie 4pin perifial connection