Sign in with
Your question

9700M GTS Overclock 33% gain in Crysis Med 1440x940

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2008 9:25:43 PM

I oced a Stock 9700M GTS ( GPU: 530, Memory 799, Shader: 1325) Stably with no artifcating to (GPU: 714, mem: 997 Shader 1748)

I use to get 21 fps in Crysis (Medium settings) @ 1440x940 now I get 31-32 fps (medium Settings) @ 1440x940. Its unbelievable, this is the first card that I had that could overclock this much, with so much gain. There is no artifacting (atleast visible to me, I didn't officially test it yet).

Unbeleivable.

Core clock of almost 200mhz gains, memory of 200 mhz and shader of 400 mhz gain! The temperature barely went up from 65 in game to 69 in game. I don't know how this will affect the batter but its doing fine for now:) 
September 12, 2008 9:36:42 PM

Is that a laptop card? 'cuz, it would make sense that laptop cards were clocked low to keep power consumption down, which would explain the good overclocking. Kind of like overclocking an underclocked card. Could just be a lucky card, too.
September 12, 2008 9:43:07 PM

:)  it is a laptop Video card but I'm still shocked! :D 

They should have on the fly overclocking if thats the case, when its plugged in it should oc and when its not plugged in it should down clock:) 

September 12, 2008 9:46:35 PM

how did you overclock it? I was unaware things like rivatuner worked?
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2008 9:50:02 PM

To D: Yeah, but it's still a pretty impressive OC, that's 35% on the core (usually the toughest to OC for laptops as memory is usually artificially low so has headroom).

My old MRX700 had good OOCability going from 330->420 core 27%, but only felt a bit good about that since most X700s are 350 core to begin with but still glad to have the OC in Oblivion.

Nice Job L1qu1d solid results, I wish I could improve the HD2600 more, but +60Mhz (~10%) on the core and +120(240) (~20%) on the memory is all I can squeeze out of it before it get near unstable. It helps, but still doesn't let me play native resolution in Crysis (I run 720x450 4:1 scale with shaders cranked and it's in the 20s range, playable but would always love more).

Edit: They could do greater dynamic OCing, but it would likely mess alot more with reliability. After the GF8 series mobile problems I don't see OEMs offering heavy OC options whether plugged in or not in the future.
September 12, 2008 9:53:18 PM

Nice OC there. But be on the lookout for that faulty nvidia chip (Shocking!)
September 12, 2008 10:07:08 PM

well My friend works at BestB so if it breaks he just grabs me another Toshiba, and we jsut echange it with the one in the box:p 

I'll have some official benchmarks up soon :) .

Sorry Core 751**** I meant to change it:) 

I'll have benchies between the 2 up with screen shots. I literally almost needed a triple bypass when I saw the results.

BTW TGGA it was cuz of you I made the 9700M gts choice, you said about how your 8800m GTS is treating you well, and I heard that this is slightly above (ofc when it comes to heavy shader games, your 8800M GTS takes the cake). I went with the 9700M gts because it slightly smaller yet still along the lines of what you said, the hp you suggested was 20" and was on sale for 1399$ @ Bestbuy beleive it or not!

@ spuddyt

The only way I could OC the video card was through ntune (Mobile optimized version) and optimized 177.98 Nvidia drivers. With out the nvidia drivers ntune didn't let me touch the clock settings so you need the whole package.

i'll link em

Ntune For NBooks:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic...

Driver Updates with Custom Ini File which makes them laptop compatible ( follow instructions cuz you gotta dl the driver first and next to the download link should be download inf file)

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showforum...
September 12, 2008 10:23:31 PM

now I tested thoroughly I can tell you what I saw wrong with the whole proccess.

well for starters when the computer is unplugged ntune can't change the clock frequencies anymore, so it means that you can oc your laptop only when its plugged into the power outlet.

Second I get 9 fps in crysis when the laptop is take out of the plug and I run Crysis.

Theres the problem, so for travelers it becomes very stupid to oc the computer, unless you plan on plugging it in every time you play!
September 12, 2008 10:26:07 PM

And then that eliminates the whole purpose of a laptop, heh.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2008 10:35:31 PM

I oced my 8600m gs in my laptop once lol u can oc everything these days
September 12, 2008 10:36:56 PM

spathotan said:
And then that eliminates the whole purpose of a laptop, heh.

Exactly, I'm going to try and installing the regular Drivers (Toshiba drivers that are properly optimized for the laptop) see if that helps, i'd rather have the battery die quicker then a laptop that can't game period hen unplugged LMAO!

I'll see if its possible.
September 12, 2008 10:47:51 PM

L1qu1d said:
now I tested thoroughly I can tell you what I saw wrong with the whole proccess.

well for starters when the computer is unplugged ntune can't change the clock frequencies anymore, so it means that you can oc your laptop only when its plugged into the power outlet.

Second I get 9 fps in crysis when the laptop is take out of the plug and I run Crysis.

Theres the problem, so for travelers it becomes very stupid to oc the computer, unless you plan on plugging it in every time you play!

Set power status on battery to "High Performance" and you should get full performance while still on battery. Or better yet, edit the power settings in "High Performance" tab to completely un-cripple it.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Settings -> PCI Express -> Link State Management -> Off

Also, -> Processor Power Management -> Min processor state -> 100%

Can you run a Crysis Timedemo? I want to see how an un-crippled laptop stacks up against desktop.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Crysis-Benchmark-Tool-1.05-...

Bench for comparison, use same settings please.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2008 10:57:10 PM

Yeah, you should be able to override the declocking, by switching the power profile.

Same thing happens on ATi cards (although usually to an even more detrimental effect because they detune even more to save more battery), you need to tweak the powermizer settings.

You can also hack tweaks in but I'd avoid that unless you need to (usually only if you're stuck with OEM drivers, not those from laptopvideo2go or DH moded).
September 12, 2008 11:15:56 PM

I tried doing that, but it makes no difference the game performs very poorly when unplugged. Games such as Grid, Cod4 Crysis, all cap out @ 9 fps any ideas?
September 12, 2008 11:18:35 PM

L1qu1d said:
I tried doing that, but it makes no difference the game performs very poorly when unplugged. Games such as Grid, Cod4 Crysis, all cap out @ 9 fps any ideas?

Is it possible that the battery just isn't supplying enough power at a fast enough rate to feed the gpu?
September 13, 2008 12:27:44 AM

I fixed it, the new display driver wasn't regulating the power properly, I jsut did a system restore and installed ntune only and now it works like a dream:D 
September 13, 2008 12:30:38 AM

L1qu1d said:
I fixed it, the new display driver wasn't regulating the power properly, I jsut did a system restore and installed ntune only and now it works like a dream:D 

Good job there. Try running the Crysis benchmark. :p 
September 13, 2008 12:44:25 AM

k I'm going to pick up my gf and i'll do it as soon as I'm back
September 13, 2008 3:12:32 AM

you want to hear something funny, with my GX2s the fps drops to 30 from 70 on high when I enable DX 9.... LMAO!!!! (crysis)

I'm doing the laptop benchies now:) 
September 13, 2008 3:18:46 AM

L1qu1d said:
you want to hear something funny, with my GX2s the fps drops to 30 from 70 on high when I enable DX 9.... LMAO!!!! (crysis)

Hmm... why is that? :sweat: 
September 13, 2008 4:16:40 AM

I have no idea, :S its really weird. Either way sorrry if the benchies are taking long needed to reinstall Crysis, I put a cd crack hack cuz I was tired of carrying the cd with me, and I think i screwed it up.

I'll have em up in 5 mins
September 13, 2008 4:57:39 AM

here you go:

Not bad for 1600$ laptop. the 9700M GTS is a very good midrange/high end card.
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2008 10:14:15 AM

L1qu1d said:

the same thing happened to me when i had my 9800gx2.
btw impressive laptop u got there. =]
September 13, 2008 2:00:02 PM

Here is the version I actualyl wanted up, thats the clocks that I got stably:

2 fps increase:p 

If this can do High on the poorly optimized Crysis, I think it can do it on Crysis warhead, which can run VH Full settings @ 1680x1050 @ 30 fps:) 

I'll make some benchies with the clocks @ default and you'll see why I'm soo happy:)  The temps cap out @ 65 max when running Crysis
September 13, 2008 2:07:59 PM

Just for the Record, I get slightly higher FPS when I run the Game with DX 9 High, then I do with DX 10 Medium (about 1 fps not alot).

And High DX 9 looks better, so that might be an option for alot of ppl:)  Looks better, and runs better:D 
September 13, 2008 2:10:23 PM

There:

@ stock

So around 24% decrease over the OCed results:p  So the OC pushes the game to playable:) 
September 13, 2008 2:39:11 PM

Hey, not bad! 32fps is definitely playable. 32fps from 24 fps is the difference between playable and unplayable, so that oc paid off in a major way. :D 

Lowered resolution to 1024x720 and got avg 62fps. So a laptop still doesn't stack up against similarly priced desktop. Still, a while back, it's impossible to find a laptop that can run Crysis at acceptable fps at all. It's really came a long way. :sol: 

So, how long does the battery last? :D 
September 13, 2008 2:43:09 PM

actually it can vary on idle, it goes 3 hours. if I game about almost 2 hours (depending on the intesity of the game, prob crysis 1.5) with the OC I test it, and it ran just under 1.5 hours, so not bad at all.

Here I'll test it @ 1024x720, Warhead should be interesting though if a 9800 GT can do maxed @ 30 fps @ 1680x1050 then your 8800 GTS and my Quad sli will prob getting half life 2 fps :p  ahaha (I wish!)

September 13, 2008 2:47:16 PM

L1qu1d said:
actually it can vary on idle, it goes 3 hours. if I game about almost 2 hours (depending on the intesity of the game, prob crysis 1.5) with the OC I test it, and it ran just under 1.5 hours, so not bad at all.

Here I'll test it @ 1024x720, Warhead should be interesting though if a 9800 GT can do maxed @ 30 fps @ 1680x1050 then your 8800 GTS and my Quad sli will prob getting half life 2 fps :p  ahaha (I wish!)

Meh, 1.5 hours is enough. You shouldn't play all day long anyway. :na: 

It's interesting how much they optimized Warhead. Your quad will probably get 100fps or something. I don't think a gts can do significantly better than a gt though. :p 
September 13, 2008 2:49:17 PM

September 13, 2008 3:03:06 PM

dagger said:
It increased again? Oh I see, screen ratio was different before, that's why you didn't use 1280x1024 at first. Lol... :na: 

Hey I dunno I fricken hate Crysis, it says error when i run it on the laptop @ 1280x1024 lol sorry haha.

As for the 100 fps I hope so, I heard its multi GPU optimized.

And your 8800 GTS gets significant frame increases in some games over the 8800 GT, since yours is oced like a beast you should play atleast @ 40-50 fps (if its as optimized as theys said) Maxed out

EDIT: I beleive the 8800 GTS is about 10-15% faster than the 8800 GT (9800 GT's inexpensive Twin)
September 13, 2008 6:27:18 PM

Quote:
Can you run Crysis high @ 1280x1024 with DX 10 and 64 bit enabled? I wanna see how many frames you get:p 

FPS drops in dx10, as expected. :p 
September 14, 2008 9:13:40 PM

i went from 500 to 681.5 core and 600 to 765 memory. This is probably because the HD 2600 is the same as the XT, just lower clocks. Im really limited by voltage as the temps are lower than my cpu.

TGGA
Do you have the DDR2 version of the 2600?
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 1:26:31 AM

customisbetter said:

TGGA
Do you have the DDR2 version of the 2600?

Nah, GDDR3 version, I'll run GPU-Z later today, and post something for you. It's a very early chip, I think I bought it like the 3rd week it was out, the Fujitsu was one of the first to launch with it; I was going to get the HDX, but it got delayed so many times, meh!

Here's the GPU-Z run;
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kzzf5/
September 16, 2008 1:31:22 AM

You kno what I noticed that DX 9 has no visual impact (that can be seen while playing) in Crysis when running Medium graphics.

The only impact I see is that the game runs @ 30 fps with DX 10 and almost 60 fps with DX 9....

so I think Med settings is best run on DX 9 I think.
September 16, 2008 1:33:30 AM

L1qu1d said:
You kno what I noticed that DX 9 has no visual impact (that can be seen while playing) in Crysis when running Medium graphics.

The only impact I see is that the game runs @ 30 fps with DX 10 and almost 60 fps with DX 9....

so I think Med settings is best run on DX 9 I think.

Same with High. It's only Very High that use DX10 effects. :p 
September 16, 2008 1:37:10 AM

Damn Crytek...lol 1 day and 2 hours till Crysis 2 (well 1.5) :D 

Lets hope Optimization has been done well, otherwise they should try consoles from now on instead of computers.

So many ppl wasting money on unneccessary components for the PC...whether you have a 1000$ or 6000$ computer Crysis will still not run like COD4 (for example).

:) 
September 16, 2008 1:44:20 AM

True.
My lappy can actually Max COD4 w/o AA. If i turn AA on in Crysis, my frames are almost cut in half.
I am so excited for Warhead, I might actually buy it.
September 16, 2008 1:46:53 AM

customisbetter said:
True.
My lappy can actually Max COD4 w/o AA. If i turn AA on in Crysis, my frames are almost cut in half.
I am so excited for Warhead, I might actually buy it.

I doubt it'll run as well as CoD4 even when optimized. That level of photo-realism has to take something... :p 
September 16, 2008 1:47:51 AM

I got it for free on Steam (My friend gifted it) and I'm going to wait for the special edition and buy that:) 

so as soon as the clock strikes 12, I'm dling it for the next day MWHAHAHAHAHA

I'm gonna finally have a chance to test and compare my tri against my quad lol!
September 16, 2008 1:57:20 AM

yeah, my dl speed is only 1.5Mb so i think ill just order it or go to the store.

and who needs a quad sli when you can have a 8800gt with a few ROPs removed?

*sulks*
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 1:58:08 AM

I don't know if I'm gonna get it... well right away.

I like Crysis (well more than most less than some) , but really I know my limited time is for FallOut3, which I have pre-ordered and made space for on my HDD just waiting to bring it home and dock it to the mega pipboy (aka 6460) . :sol: 

I think Warhammer will be a spring (after ski season) title for me. Crysis was my Xmas title, but I see Fallout3 being my fall/winter title if it's anywhere near what I hope.
September 16, 2008 2:06:17 AM

Tisk tisk TGGA,

Yeah I actually want to play Warhammer as well. But I think my list would be,

Crysis 2
Far Cry 2
Left 4 dead
Warhammer
Sonic Unleashed
and I duno after I gues diablo 3 or SC2

I just recently got the force unleashed for Wii though:)  soo fun!
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 2:13:37 AM

Yeah, the Fallout3 has just been SOOOOO LONG, loved Fallout 1&2, gotta buy that, regardless (also Bethesda's done right by me with the ES series, so if it's time limited, they get a shot at it first).

After that I'd say likely Left 4 Dead and FartCry2 are next on my list.

LOVE Sonic, though it would be the quick & guiltless: turn on, play 15 mins while waiting for Girlfriend or whatever, turn off; so it doesn't really count as a time concern.

Actually meant Crysis:Warhead, not Warhammer keep saying that (too confusing names), although I am also interested in playing Warhammer and see if it's worth it.
See it's too many games (we're only scratching the surface), not enough time (and skiing is still my preference).

And don't start with the Wii, Jeez I had to get rid of mine (well gave it to a friend who had kids) it's just a time-suck and a half !! Fun the whole time, but OIE, X360 is bad enough !!
September 16, 2008 2:18:44 AM

Oh man for me, when I was a kid (even now sometimes), I would either be playing Shenmue (<3 it) or Sonic Adventure games.

Now that I heard they are going back to 2D perspective in a 3D world (ofc with alot of 3D perspectives where it counts) it should be exciting to finally play a fresh sonic game with out the stupid camera glitches the 3D series brought to the table.

My god what did they do to the Xbox360 and PS3 version!

Fallout I never got into, I kno its an amazing game...but to be honest I played it once, didn't know what to do and then turned it off.

you think i should give it another try? would it be worth it?
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 2:23:35 AM

It's tough recommending games like Fallout, it's no longer the game it was. It's very 3D FPS now, so to me it's a bit of an unknown, but I'm really amped to give it a go.

IMO, wait and see what people's reactions are. There's little reason for you to worry about collector's edition (I just want the bobble-head :sol:  ) , but really best to see what people think and the reastion it gets, and then decide if it falls short or not. It might be good or they may have killed the franchise. As for playing the original, I don't think it would be enjoyable now compared to so many other options, at the time it was pretty different and special IMO.

Anywhoo, gotta go grab dinner.
September 16, 2008 2:29:55 AM

fair enough I'll play the first 2 and see if I can give it a go:) 
September 16, 2008 2:31:53 AM

Boo... sucky games. When will Warhammer Dawn of War 2 and Starcraft 2 come? *sigh* :hum: 
September 16, 2008 4:06:49 AM

boo urself!!! lol

Sc2 is starcraft 2 lol and its TBA 2009
!