dell hater

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
i bought a dell 710 xps system , warranty expired , motherboard shorted out ,dell giving me run around on selling me one , which is now an upgrade from a 7-slot btx, question ,is the replacement ock 520 and was there a problem with these? also any hints other than don't buy dell.

I saw an article on the upgrade program for your xps. The board was around $250. Since the btx format is dead, you'd be better off transferring the drives to a regular atx case, which would give you more motherboard options. Your dell oem windows cd will work with a non dell motherboard, but you'll probably have to format the drive, or save your files with a program such as norton ghost. One item you want to leave alone is the microsoft coa sticker. Don't try to remove it from your dell case. If you damage it, you will have trouble reading those small numbers which you need to reactivate windows when you change motherboards. If you go the atx route, you can go with an nvidia chipset board for sli, or the x48 chipset for crossfire mode.

ahgorey

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I am having the same exact problem with my xps700. They have replaced just about everything in the box with the exception of the video cards - which they are doing now. Has anyone ever had any luck in claiming a lemon and getting a replacement system?

TRENDING THREADS