Sign in with
Your question

Data DVDs Freezing on DVD Player after Windows 7 installation

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2010 1:04:08 PM

Before upgrading to Windows 7, I was using XP Professional and burning data DVDs (DVD+RW) of avi files using Nero and playing the videos on my television using my LG DV380H-N DVD player (DivX compatible). Never had a problem.

Since upgrading to Windows 7, when I burn a data DVD and play the vids on the same player, the videos freeze after just a few minutes of playback. Basically after anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, the video freezes and the audio continues for a while, then the whole thing freezes. When playing off the same DVD on the computer, it plays fine.

I've tried burning with Nero, Media Player and Windows Explorer. Also on different DVD+RWs. Same problem every time. I even tried burning videos that I had previously burned and viewed successfully.

I figure it must be some kind of codec thing, but why would a DivX file that burned and played previously not work anymore? Same hardware, media and burning software...the only variable that has changed is the OS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 18, 2010 8:19:30 AM

When you said upgrade, did you do a reformat and a clean install, or simply upgrade your existing copy of whatever older version you were using? You might also want to check LG's website and see if they have any special instructions for using your drive with Windows 7.
January 18, 2010 8:06:30 PM

It was a totally clean installation of Windows 7, on a new hard drive actually (SATA instead of previous IDE, if that makes any difference...)
January 22, 2010 5:29:50 PM

KennyRD said:
It was a totally clean installation of Windows 7, on a new hard drive actually (SATA instead of previous IDE, if that makes any difference...)

Nero has multiple compatibility issues with windows 7 however, this sounds like the issue is with the drive which is another issue alltogether if you search microsoft.com you will find some recomendations on how to solve these issues.
Related resources
!