How do I create an Icon

I would like to create an icon for my desktop to cover a shortcut I already
have
How do I do that?

Easy instructions please, although not completely a beginner not expeienced
in creating things myself.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about create icon

    Make a bitmap in paint. To not waste MBs of memory make it 32 x 32 rather than a full size photo. If using a dialog to set the icon you'll need to rename it to an ico file (but it's only dialogs that care - windows doesn't)

    "" wrote:
    > Make a bitmap in paint. To not waste MBs of memory make it 32
    > x 32 rather than a full size photo. If using a dialog to set
    > the icon you'll need to rename it to an ico file (but it's
    > only dialogs that care - windows doesn't)

    > ------------------------------------
    > "Maggsmcg" <maggsmcg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to create an icon for my desktop to cover a
    > shortcut I already
    > > have
    > > How do I do that?
    > >
    > > Easy instructions please, although not completely a beginner
    > not expeienced
    > > in creating things myself.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Actualy, Bitmap format isnt what icons actualy should be, ther is a
    special format called "Microsoft Windows Icon" format which alows for
    the full 16.8 million colours plus alpha transparancy. mspaint dose
    not support this format, this format is strangly similare to gif,
    except it supports 16.8 million colours.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-create-Icon-ftopict416254.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1387757

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP