Scythe Mugen 2 Not Performing. Help?

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Ok so I have an C2Q Q9400 at the stock speed of 2.66ghz sitting below a Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler. I have two 120mm fans (one of which is attached in a very makeshift fashion. Twist ties through the top holes of the fan and around the top of the heatsink, and the one twisty through one bottom hole and wrapped around that little pipe that goes to my south-bridge, I will indicate it in a photo) sitting on the heatsink, plus 4 case fans, two of which are running at 1600rpm. I am preparing to go for an overclock, so over night I ran prime95, and here are the results:
The tests were passed but I noticed that my CPU temp was a bit high considering the setup I've got going. 44-46 degrees is where it stayed at full load. I am using arctic silver 5 thermal paste btw. I know that I actually have my cooler installed "upside down", which was an accident, but I didn't really think it would make a difference
Considering the setup I currently have, do you think this is an installation problem? A problem with the product itself? Or is this just normal?

It could very well be an installation issue as this is my first time installing an aftermarket cpu cooler, and it was my first time applying the thermal paste. I put a little dot on the cpu and then I spread it around with a plastic baggy. I think I might have done it to thin? In any case, please let me know.

2509.JPG

The twist tie is wrapped around the pipe that goes from "gigabyte" to "ultra-durable"

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Can you take a pic of what your TIM looks like on the CPU after you gently pull the cooler off?

What are you using to measure temps? Prime 95 small ffts to load?

Sure like to know each core after 20 min of run time. Good post on Temp proggies in discussion here, might be a good thread to read.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

well the temp post is alright :D, if its installed properly with good tim then you might be better off using faster fans or have better airflow to see if it lowers temps

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I can't take a pic of it. All I want to know is if 44-46 degrees on full load is a good reading for a Intel C2Q Q9400 at stock speeds, with a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler (two 120mm fans), and arctic silver 5 thermal paste.