Help - CPU temperature?

guffyuk

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi,

My girlfriend has a Toshiba Equium A60, which has recently starting giving me the 'Blue screen'. I googled the error message, which tells me it's either overheating, or the RAM is bad.

My question is, within the BIOS I cannot find the CPU temperature anywhere, am I missing something? It has two pages, but it doesn't seem to be listed on either. Is there another way to find it out?

The BIOS is ACPI BIOS version 1.90, if that helps?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

virus015

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Well the BIOS will only be telling you the idle temp, so it probably won't be much good anyways. Have you tried temperature monitoring applications such as speedfan and coretemp? Run Prime 95 for a while (a few hours, may take less to reach the peak temperature), and see if the temps are within the processor's limits.

Questeighty

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I use BIOS too for OCing.
Im not sure what version my BIOs is but then you should have several main pages on the top. For example: Advanced, Power, Boot, etc.

to see the current temps while running BIOS, go to Power then Hardware monitoring (i believe its that name). then you see a whole list of your hardware temps. my CPU runs at about 41C degrees when running BIOS.

when i run my windows, i use SpeedFan. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
may not be the best but it tells you the temperature of you GPU, some chips on your motherboard, hard drive, and CPU.
if a flame appears to the left of the hardware name, then its hot.
if its a blue arrow, that mean its too cold, which I think isnt bad
if its a green check, that means it is at the perfect temperature.

try running some CPU or GPU stressing programs and observe the numbers that SpeedFan tells you. this might help you know if your hardware is too hot.
it doesnt tell you your RAM temp i believe, but could still help you

shovenose

Distinguished
on speedfan, when it has a red up arrow or a flame, it doesnt mean that there actually a probelm. it just means that the temp is above the average speedfan expects!