Sign in with
Your question

Repairing worm-infected had drive

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2010 4:55:06 PM

I have a notebook computer which has a work-infected hard drive (Windows XP). The system will boot, but then won't allow me to do certain things, like restore to an earlier date or start Task Manager. I have files on the drive that aren't backed up elsewhere, so don't want to just reformat the drive.

Is there a way I can create a bootable CD which can then scan the infected drive to remove malicious software?
a b G Storage
January 16, 2010 5:08:38 PM

Avira Rescue CD or something like that is what you need. Makes a bootable disc and then can scan and remove infections.

Did you try starting in safe mode?
m
l
January 16, 2010 8:42:21 PM

I did try starting in safe mode--same problems.

I downloaded the Avira Rescue CD, scanned with what downloaded (virus definition 2 weeks old) and it didn't find any problems. Tried to download the update, but that failed (three attempts).

Any other suggestions?

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 17, 2010 2:45:25 PM

You could try a Knoppix (Linux) boot CD but I would definitaly not boot from the infected hard drive until all data was safe.
So, start your computer with the boot CD, rescue all important files and then reformat/reinstall Windows.
m
l
January 27, 2010 12:54:26 PM

I couldn't find anything that would remove the worm. Finally had to reformat the drive and reload the operating system.
m
l
!