I think I fried somthing

G

I went to put in 2 new ram sticks into my pc had everything turned off and detached when i plugged back in the power supply the computer beeped 5 times but stayed on just wouldnt connect to the monitor.
I tried switching to the old ram stick same thing happened.Did i fry a circuit somewhere maybe?

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I would take the board out to test it again. Take the CMOS batter out for about 15-20 mins. Then insert it back in again. Turn the power on with just bare components - cpu, ram and vga.. do not connect other devices. test again.

G

I looked at the machine its a dell dimension 4550 series everything in it is factory adding the ram would have been my first upgrade and its 6 beeps not 5

sisley_111

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/advanced.htm

Beep Codes

Possible Cause
8042 Gate A20 cannot be toggled.

Corrective Action
See "Contacting Dell" in the Dell Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

from next table

Possible Cause
The keyboard controller failed its test.

Corrective Action
If you receive this message after making changes in the system setup program, enter the program and restore the original value(s).

Remove battery for 15 minutes and reinsert it after. Go to the bios and restore system default.

G

ok according to LED its showing that the ram is the problem its not detecting any memory modules going to put a diffrent keyboard in and see if thatll help first.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Try one Dimm module only at a time. Press down until latches are fully engaged. If it won't go, you have it the wrong way round.

Mike.

G

got the original ram put in fully engaged still showing i think i may have fried the motherboard ....but if i had the pc wouldnt turn on at all right?

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
No, pc could still turn on. Can you try the ram (both new and old) in another pc? Have you made sure there is no crap in the ram slots, also have you tried one stick of ram in different slots to see if that works?

Try with no other peripherals connected (as a last ditch attempt), so unplug hdds cd/dvd drives sound card (if there is one). Everything except gpu and ram (again try in different sockets).

But, starting to sound like toasted motherboard.....