Trouble installing new Graphics!

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi all!
Well im having a real issue with a new video card Ati 6870 i tried to install in my system, i have dual boot , Windows 7 & Windows XP, while i have been working with both of then normaly with my old Card Ati 3850. The problem came when i decided to unistall all the Ati drivers for my 3850 card., everything uninstalls i reboot my computer i do the same to the Windows 7 system (in order to load my new card to both ) reboot again.
Then when i tried to get into windows XP i get a BSOD (Blue screen of death), tried to enter many ways into safe mode, i deleted all ati drivers using Driver Sweeper, and when i try to install the new drivers for my card i get this error " Failed to load detection driver" and it stops working, i have to mention that i tried also to install in safe mode but is not possible, my windows xp is showing strange behaviour, like not showing the themes correctly. And while i try to install Visuall C++ i get also an error.
What can i do? i can´t format since i am getting into new OS and i couldn´t finish what i had to do.
On Windows 7 x64 runs and detect the 6870 Video card without any problem,it is only on XP

If you have AHCI SATA drivers... well, if you had them, they're gone.

Those mine-sweeper uninstall programs are non-selective and don't know much about every program you may have or how to properly uninstall them, but they do get rid of them. There is a difference between uninstalling and getting rid of a program.

Since you had/have an ATI card, you should have used the ATI install manager which will properly uninstall your old video drivers. Never, ever, use the "Express Uninstall" as it will clean house on you and if you have AHCI drivers for an AMD RAID, they too will be gone.

Go back into your BIOS and disable AHCI for your SATA drives and hope for the best. The new drivers will get installed with your new card drivers or you will need to download and install chipset drivers again.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
drivers sweepers dont do this

go to cmd enter the following

sfc /purgecache

then uninstall the drivers via the uninstaller

reboot into safe mode

run the driver sweeper

delete the ATI folder

clean your recycle bin

let me know if it worked

Well since i have deleted them, how i´m supposed to do what you tell me? Actually i could do a system restore to a previous week so i hope everything is ok, i didn´t tried out althought.
If i get my system stability i will try what you tell me, hope it works.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah it seems something got wrong, but let me tell you that Ati does not optimize the updating of the video card drivers, if you go to the AMD/ATI driver´s page you will find out that they recomend always delection of old drivers before installing new ones, i had problems everytime i did that, the only way was just installing those new drivers, over the old ones, and it was the only way it has been working for me.
But since this time i was upgrading Hardware units i decided to Uninstall them by the control panel Ati unistall, after that i rebooted the computer, and when i tried to open system the BSOD appeared. Trouble after Trouble.
(sorry for my English i try my best)

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
No in XP SFC copies them back as soon as it gets removed. So theyre still there

Oh Really? well then if my system restore didn´t work i will try that out. Thanks i´ll give you an answer tomorrow.
By the way there were many things corrupted in my system, like Network access was restricted, or not appearing, the tool bar (Start) was some like without any theme on it, Antivirus Avira was disable, very strange things, It´s like all programs dependant of some code(like Visual C++), were not working

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thats to get admin rights? well thanks for helping me out, until tomorrow i will not able to try this out since i am at work, but you give me some hope after all this crap.
Thanks a lot i will give you news as soon as i get home

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
No thats to repair the permissions

Hi again, i´m having alittle bit trouble, while as i told you yesterday restored to an earlier point when i try to use SFC command line it pops an error "RPC server is unavailable"
I´ve found also that my network is not avaliable too, what´s going on with this OS? i just wanted to install new hardware and all this trouble, so good that i have Windows 7 x64 working, whithout it i wouldn´t be able to even writte in this forum. So frustrating
i´ll keep trying what you told me,
When i restore to an earlier point everything seems fine but since i have a new card installed it brings a BSOD, so i think i will put the old card in order to delete drivers as you told me, what do you think? Oh my God. Microsoft! is that busy always to add new hardware ? im getting mad about this

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi again, after i while i restored my previous Ati 3850 card, and with the restore point i could finally get into windows Xp without any problem, Windows 7 detects the display correctly without any issues, but it seems Xp wont let me install the new graphic card.
What can i do now, i can start from the beggining right now, i need help.
Now i know for sure that is a software problem, this crappy windows Xp just give me problems.
But since i want to try on this OS too, i need it to get working. So how i am supposed to install a new Ati Card if i have one older nstalled. Do i have to unisntall before pluggin new card? Do i have to Pluggin the new card then uninstall? What procceses should i handle first? Thanks ! :(

Start>Run>Services.msc
Make sure "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is running and set to Automatic.
Make sure "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator" is set to Manual. (might not be running)

Check that you have NET.Framework 3.5 or higher installed in your computer.

Start "InstallManagerApp.exe" Found in the C׃/ATI/Support/10-11_xp32_dd_ccc_enu/bin folder. (Your lower folder may be different, it varies by driver version you have installed).

Choose language, Choose "Uninstall", Custom, and remove the ATI Catalyst and drivers. Leave anything else.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>Adapter tab>Properties>Driver tab>Uninstall.

Shut down Windows directly. Change cards, restart. If Windows wants to install a driver, click Cancel.

Navigate to the C׃/ATI/Support/10-11_xp32_dd_ccc_enu folder (or whatever one you have) and start Setup.exe
Don't try to install 64 bit drivers on Standard XP.

Don't assume it is finished until it specifically tells you it is done. There may be a delay of up to 10 seconds between sections (depending on speed of your system).

Report back on results.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Hi , i will try what you tell me, but i´m going to give up, this is insane, what the heck Microsoft does to the system for what they call stability? I just tried after the restore point to unistall catalyst driver but it didn´t work, Althought i will put again my old card and begin again form the first step as you told me, wait for my reply please, it wont take long.
Thanks

2 hours now... I don't mind waiting, but I need to use the restroom. I guess I can wait a little longer.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Hi again! very sorry for the delay ( when i told you to wait it was not at the same moment)

I am having real issues with this OS (windows XP x86) while with windows 7 x64 zero problems.
Well, i idid everything you told me to do :
- Checked Services RPC was active as you said
-Checked that Framawork 3.5 or aboove (even 2.0 and some othe updates where in) was installed.
-Uninstalled old graphics (3850) via InstallmanagerApp.exe
-Uninstalled via driver tab the display.
-Shuted down computer and changed cards
-Started system (dual boot appeared betwen win7 and earlier windows) choosen earlier of course.
-System starting everything seems fine until card detected PLOF! BSOD (Blue Screen) Error! Stop 0x000000FC trying to use non allocated memory or something like that this is INSANE

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
go to start run

then type msconfig

go to services and enable all

go to start up tab disable everything untick all the boxes

press apply

reboot

then start run

sfc /purgecache

let me know when your done

i did also what you told me, but seems
RPC unavaliable or something like that (i have the Spanish Language)
Why i am not able to purgecache???

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
sorry you need to follow my instruction till before the purgecache part then try and boot into xp normally. then try the purgecache.
But you can try this as well. boot into safe mode. Then to system32/drivers. if you see a file that starts with ati rename it to eg ati.sys.old don't delete it rename it. Remember to switch on show hidden files and operating system files.

boot into windows not safe mode normal windows xp see if you still get a BSOD

Hi again did everything that you told me, but it seems corrupt software or something so i´ll take some drastic decision i have backed up all my important files and i´m going to "kill" Windows XP.
Because i´m getting mad, but before doing that i want to ask you a question, i am on dual boot as i told you, actually i´m writting from my Win7 x64 bootable part.
What will happen when deletion of Windows XP? i mean, i want to format drive and reinstall from the begining, will i have trouble, since i had dual boot? there will be any conflict if i reinstall windows Xp? can you give me some recomendations?

Thanks, waiting for your response

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Since i didn´t formated my drive i will rename all the files called ati, (there are a lot of them) :-( but i will reply next minutes and see if i get a BSOD.
well this is my last bullet hope it works, report on next post.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well i finished renaming nad rebooted the system, started earlier version of windows normal boot, and got in, but it seems its a combination of safemode and normal mode.
i explain myself, it seems it loads all the programs, but eg: Avira is disabled, Networks are not present, sfc command still not working etc... what do you think? well i think you did the utmost to help me but i think something is missing? i will try installing xp again hope there will be no trouble with my existing Windows 7. At least i am formating until i get some response from you.
thanks again for the help.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Ok go to start run enter msconfig then services enable all.

Tick your start up items press aplly reboot
good you are here, lets see if that works, did you read my last post? something wrong was happening but ok i´ll enable services and see

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well i give up , is taking more time that what i thought, so im cleaning up my system and check what i can do, i wull come back when i am finished.
I´ll keep windows 7 and clean the dust of XP formating, maybe i will install it again and then repair the windows 7 boot. It´s a nonsese wasting time like this.
Thanks all

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
XP is a other roach when it comes to driver removal. Its main problem is SFC. IF you don't clear the cache your driver ain't going to install correctly. Especially with ATI drivers. Nvidia a bit mustard with their drivers but Amd have taken a time to get it right. The main problem for Amd is the file in the system32/drivers folder. When a new driver gets installed the old file stays because it was never removed. Overwrite it the Sfc copies it back from the Sfc cache which means you sit with new driver files installed and one important file from the old drivers running with. Now you can imagine now what would happen.

The cache need to be cleared otherwise SFC is going to let you run in circles
Yeah as you said, i have been running in circles, since cleaning cache was imposible to achive, so i decided to back up all my software and reinstalled from the beggining, actually i am online again, i had to install windows xp first, then windows 7 it took a little bit since i will have to get everything in order again but it worth it, (better than run in circles)
By the way problem solved, it seems now the graphics run pretty fine on both systems, Althought i have to try out again that Sfc command and see if it works.
On windows 7 works perfectly, i used sfc/Scanonly and did a complete scan.
I´m still wanna try out on XP, reply o further post.
Thanks Again.
P.S: i saw that driver hotfix Tigsound, but nothing resolved my problem, system was missing something.

Thus I no longer recommend Radeon cards. I get a "File not found" error at the AMD site when I click for the hotfix. Let's not forget that to go through the process of selecting what card you have in what type system, the AMD find drivers button doesn not lead to drivers, only the hotfix with the dead link.

Nvidia has made a determination to succeed in that business and now they can be proud of their accomplishments. The most powerful computer on earth, the
Tianhe-1A, uses Nvidia Tesla GPU's processing power in that machine. You and I can own a piece of what makes that computer what it is. So you want to buy one? Click HERE.

It should be noted that the Tianhe-1 supercomputer used ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 cards for it's brain. The Chinese learned if they wanted the best, they would need to go to Nvidia.

thecpu

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

:eek: OWWWWWWW man that´s out of my price range :eek: :ouch: but ok , it´s true that i´ve never had any issues with Nvidia, but with Ati everytime i want to update drivers is a HEADACHE.
Thanks Anyway for the help!