Scrap k6 cpufan for duron?

BufferUpchuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Duron cpufan gave out long ago. i have small desk fan pointed at mobo. Sometimes I forget to turn on the fan, but some of those times the pc runs ok for hours.
So I wonder if slightly smaller cpufan from dead k6 *should* be ok.

The main question is whether the power requirements are different. Or how would I find power info to compare?

More details:
I've misplaced the duron's dead cpufan, so can't read its sticker info :-(
Mobo is FIC az-ll pc100/133 via chipset, from about 2000.
Basic fullsize atx case. The case never had case fans.
Silent ti-300 gf3 card. (heatsink always cool to touch) No games. No OC.

The k6-2 is 1998 or 1999. cpufan has 1.5" (~40mm?) mounting holes spacing.
I don't expect trouble mounting to cpu heatsink with regular sheet metal screws (the original 4 screws, likely. Otherwise apply paranoid common sense regarding screw length, fresh threading, aluminum splinters perhaps, etc)

This info looks more concerned with heatsink than fan:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23986.pdf (install details)

r_manic

Administrator
Please don't use a desk fan and face it towards your PC innards. It may provide "adequate" cooling, but you'll also be blowing dust into your system.

I also wouldn't use a fan from a lower-power CPU, as it's not rated to provide the proper cooling for your more powerful processor. Get a third-party replacement, that's simple.

BufferUpchuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
i wouldn't bump this, but received a generated email from TH:"Did you get your answer?
...We invite you to review the answers, and select the best one as your "Best Answer" ...
If you did not get the answer you were seeking, we suggest that you add details to your question. By doing so, you will get renewed attention to your issue."

I only want to know how power draw of k6-2 cpufan *might* compare to draw of 800mhz spitfire duron's cpufan. Possibly *actual* comparison info is not available. if a "generic" k6-2 fan uses the same or less amps than "generic" duron fan, then i'll try out a k6-2 fan

Likely it'll cool enough. mid2006 i thought bad ram was causing frequent bsods, but discovered the cpufan wasn't running. with the deskfan, i'd run the pc over hours, everyday, but occasionally, I noticed that i'd forgotten to run the deskfan... yet no bsods.

r_manic "[deskfan] blowing dust into your system. ..."
i *think* the pcbs get dusty a little faster than "normal". but some dust is simply because the case is open and on the floor.
more annoying is the bulk and noise from deskfan and psu. however, facing the open side of the case away from my chair reduces noise significantly.
r_manic "Get a third-party replacement [cpufan]"
the likely only way i'll find a duron cpufan is one that is attached to heatsink and duron (or athlon) cpu. probably used.
but for $35 http://www.recycledgoods.com/23459_AMD_D700AUT1B_Duron%20700Mhz/100/64/1.6V.html, i could buy a running p3. or eventually get a free p3.

shadow703793 "time for an upgrade"
with 640kB ram, the duron runs xp, firefox ~100 tabs and tabbed text editor, with comodo2, avira, proxomitron. or a mix of other apps. completely good for everyday use.
i bought a newer pc in 2009 only because i began working with larger 3d files. (still no rendering, though)

EDIT: I hadn't thought of measuring the distance between screw "scars" on the duron's heatsink. until now.. :) they're 1.5 inches apart, the same as the k6-2 fan. This suggests more that the k6-2 fan has same airflow. so knowing whether fan-amp draw differs unpredictably is all i need to know.

(thanks to whomever may recall the circa 2000 era of cpufans/heatsinks...)