Sign in with
Your question

8 pin adaptor missing? GeForce 9800 GTX+

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2008 2:37:30 PM

Hey there

After purchasing and reloading Windows along with my new motherboard I was immediately greeted with

Quote:
To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

I thought something was wrong while the card was installed, considering there was an extra slot that looked like it needed to go somewhere. It's got 8 slots, though when I looked closer just now its actually just got 6 pins, so 2 holes are duds or whatever. I got the real 6 pin in fine, though I can't remember where the connecting wire (from card to power supply) came with the card or whether I had it already.

I'm not too sure whats going on with the wires to be honest, but the power cable I have in right now separates out into six separate yellow black and brown wires, and these go into a white plastic covering, which then leads up to hard drive, which is just confusing me now..

But the "8 pin" just ends in a black box with the 8 square holes, they don't separate out, it's a female end.

Please help D:
September 13, 2008 2:40:55 PM

Sounds like you need to make the purchase of an 8 pin adapter. Looks like your new setup is more power hungry. How old and what make and model is your power supply?
September 13, 2008 2:44:37 PM

I recall getting a new power supply around the same time I bought a new graphics card, about 2 cards back. It was the Radeon 9800 pro, sooo..

3/4 years ago?

I'm not so sure about the make, would it be marked anywhere? Looking on it now
Related resources
September 13, 2008 2:56:57 PM

Caze said:
I recall getting a new power supply around the same time I bought a new graphics card, about 2 cards back. It was the Radeon 9800 pro, sooo..

3/4 years ago?

I'm not so sure about the make, would it be marked anywhere? Looking on it now

If its four years old and something below 450 Watts, i would seriously consider to buy a new PSU. You should find the stats printed on its side.
September 13, 2008 3:08:25 PM

Okay.

I think I remember it being something around 450 watts itself.

There is one sticker I can see right now and one on the motherboard plate, so I can't see that one right now.

The sticker I can see says:

Quote:
B/I
OK 10
H/P
OK 10
ATE
OK 90
REV

Pretty sure that doesn't help myself, but hey.

I'll be back in a couple of minutes to check the other one, have to unscrew it
a b Î Nvidia
September 13, 2008 3:10:16 PM

Kind of insulting isn't it. The cards were originally $650 and they wouldn't put an adapter in the box. What scum....... but don't feel bad, you're not alone.
September 13, 2008 5:09:58 PM

In his case, it wouldn't matter if he had an adapter or not. He needs a solid PSU first.

It's safe to go get a new PSU, considering your PSU is 4 years old. A 450W Corsair PSU is all you really need, but if you want a little more head room for future upgrades, consider getting the 550W Corsair PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note that if you're going for the 450W, you'll have to buy an 8pin adapter. To make life easier, just go for the 550W.
September 13, 2008 5:20:52 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Kind of insulting isn't it. The cards were originally $650 and they wouldn't put an adapter in the box. What scum....... but don't feel bad, you're not alone.

Indeed. And to think, I might have to buy a new PSU. Talk about chain reactions.

Details:

Quote:
Q Technology
Model NO: QT-0346G
460 Watt Power Supply w/PFC

Then some other stuff which wasn't needed.

Quote:
In his case, it wouldn't matter if he had an adapter or not. He needs a solid PSU first.

It's safe to go get a new PSU, considering your PSU is 4 years old. A 450W Corsair PSU is all you really need, but if you want a little more head room for future upgrades, consider getting the 550W Corsair PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139004

Note that if you're going for the 450W, you'll have to buy an 8pin adapter. To make life easier, just go for the 550W.

Okay thanks. I'll deliberate for a bit, at this point I just want to settle down and start playing, but then again it'll be useless if I have to update again in half a year..

Say I wanted an adaptor, this would be good?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?C=SO&U=strat310&T=C...
September 13, 2008 5:34:53 PM

The GTX280 I traded up to came with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter that said it was only for "temporary use". It suggested purchasing a new power supply but considering I bought a 700w less than a year ago I was really hesitant. I ended up calling Seasonic since they make my PSU and they sent me the 8-pin modular cable for free.
September 14, 2008 1:18:19 AM

That adaptor in that link is meant for a 6-pin. You'll have to look for a 8pin adaptor, which usually takes two 6pins. There are some 6pin to 8pin adaptors, but be careful not overloading the rail.
September 14, 2008 1:27:53 AM

Caze said:
Indeed. And to think, I might have to buy a new PSU. Talk about chain reactions.
They saved your entire system by forcing you to get a new PSU. Luckily for you that you came here. Link the site you want to buy from and we will give you acceptable options.
!