8 pin adaptor missing? GeForce 9800 GTX+

Hey there

After purchasing and reloading Windows along with my new motherboard I was immediately greeted with

Quote:
To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

I thought something was wrong while the card was installed, considering there was an extra slot that looked like it needed to go somewhere. It's got 8 slots, though when I looked closer just now its actually just got 6 pins, so 2 holes are duds or whatever. I got the real 6 pin in fine, though I can't remember where the connecting wire (from card to power supply) came with the card or whether I had it already.

I'm not too sure whats going on with the wires to be honest, but the power cable I have in right now separates out into six separate yellow black and brown wires, and these go into a white plastic covering, which then leads up to hard drive, which is just confusing me now..

But the "8 pin" just ends in a black box with the 8 square holes, they don't separate out, it's a female end.

Please help D:
10 answers Last reply
More about adaptor missing geforce 9800
  1. Sounds like you need to make the purchase of an 8 pin adapter. Looks like your new setup is more power hungry. How old and what make and model is your power supply?
  2. I recall getting a new power supply around the same time I bought a new graphics card, about 2 cards back. It was the Radeon 9800 pro, sooo..

3/4 years ago?

I'm not so sure about the make, would it be marked anywhere? Looking on it now
  3. Caze said:
    I recall getting a new power supply around the same time I bought a new graphics card, about 2 cards back. It was the Radeon 9800 pro, sooo..

3/4 years ago?

I'm not so sure about the make, would it be marked anywhere? Looking on it now

If its four years old and something below 450 Watts, i would seriously consider to buy a new PSU. You should find the stats printed on its side.
  4. Okay.

I think I remember it being something around 450 watts itself.

There is one sticker I can see right now and one on the motherboard plate, so I can't see that one right now.

The sticker I can see says:

Quote:
    B/I
    OK 10
    H/P
    OK 10
    ATE
    OK 90
    REV

Pretty sure that doesn't help myself, but hey.

I'll be back in a couple of minutes to check the other one, have to unscrew it
  5. Kind of insulting isn't it. The cards were originally $650 and they wouldn't put an adapter in the box. What scum....... but don't feel bad, you're not alone.
  6. In his case, it wouldn't matter if he had an adapter or not. He needs a solid PSU first.

It's safe to go get a new PSU, considering your PSU is 4 years old. A 450W Corsair PSU is all you really need, but if you want a little more head room for future upgrades, consider getting the 550W Corsair PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Note that if you're going for the 450W, you'll have to buy an 8pin adapter. To make life easier, just go for the 550W.
  7. swifty_morgan said:
    Kind of insulting isn't it. The cards were originally $650 and they wouldn't put an adapter in the box. What scum....... but don't feel bad, you're not alone.

Indeed. And to think, I might have to buy a new PSU. Talk about chain reactions.

Details:

Quote:
    Q Technology
    Model NO: QT-0346G
    460 Watt Power Supply w/PFC

Then some other stuff which wasn't needed.

Quote:
    In his case, it wouldn't matter if he had an adapter or not. He needs a solid PSU first.

It's safe to go get a new PSU, considering your PSU is 4 years old. A 450W Corsair PSU is all you really need, but if you want a little more head room for future upgrades, consider getting the 550W Corsair PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139003
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139004

Note that if you're going for the 450W, you'll have to buy an 8pin adapter. To make life easier, just go for the 550W.

Okay thanks. I'll deliberate for a bit, at this point I just want to settle down and start playing, but then again it'll be useless if I have to update again in half a year..

Say I wanted an adaptor, this would be good?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?C=SO&U=strat310&T=Chatham&ModuleNo=46857&ma=Chatham+-+PCI+Express+Power+Converter
  8. The GTX280 I traded up to came with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter that said it was only for "temporary use". It suggested purchasing a new power supply but considering I bought a 700w less than a year ago I was really hesitant. I ended up calling Seasonic since they make my PSU and they sent me the 8-pin modular cable for free.
  9. That adaptor in that link is meant for a 6-pin. You'll have to look for a 8pin adaptor, which usually takes two 6pins. There are some 6pin to 8pin adaptors, but be careful not overloading the rail.
  10. Caze said:
    Indeed. And to think, I might have to buy a new PSU. Talk about chain reactions.
    They saved your entire system by forcing you to get a new PSU. Luckily for you that you came here. Link the site you want to buy from and we will give you acceptable options.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Product