External pre-install OS: can I pre-install XP to be used later internally on an

bennito

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
My PC (ASUS) has two options for hardware connection: IDE and SATA. The manual says, however, that in order to use the SATA connection, XP SP 1 or later should be installed on HD. So, the question is: can I pre-install XP externally on a HD which is to be used internally as primary HD later?

bennito

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
hi bennito

Welcome to THG

Do you have a OS system already installed on your pc?

Sure, I do have XP SP3, but I want to change the HD, and do not want to make an image of the constellation I have on my current HD (too much crap I don't need).

bennito

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
yes you can but remember when you use it later as a internal youll have to use the recovery console and fix the bootloader with the map command

Thanks a lot. Just for newbies: any details? Would that be through msdos? or the bios set up?

bennito

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

The manual says, however, that in order to use the SATA connection, XP SP 1 or later should be installed on HD. So, the question is: can I pre-install XP externally on a HD which is to be used internally as primary HD later?
Thanks, Tigsounds, the problem is, it should be the other way round, at least it seems I need it that way.