Unknown loss of disk space, HELP!

MAB1994

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hi, I have a new PC build with a 500gb hard drive and every day without me installing anything it loses 6 to 10 gig! I figured it was a virus of some kind and installed an anti virus program and scanned the PC but it reported that it found nothing. Once this happened i thought it would be better to just reformat and start all over hoping that it wouldn't happen again, after reformatting my vista ultimate 64 it did the exact same thing it started at 16 GB and now at present its all the way up to 43 GB with out me doing anything. why is it doing this? How can i stop it?

Solution
How much time are you giving it? Immediately after the initial installation there might be some growth if the system creates a hibernation file, extends the page file, or creates restore points for the whack of previously-issued patches and service packs. But it should stabilize after a day or two.
How much time are you giving it? Immediately after the initial installation there might be some growth if the system creates a hibernation file, extends the page file, or creates restore points for the whack of previously-issued patches and service packs. But it should stabilize after a day or two.

Solution

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
By default Windows uses 15% of the drive for System Restore so you will eventually lose 75GB.
You can verify this by typing vssadmin list shadowstorage from the command line (make sure you run the command prompt with administrator rights). You can also use vssadmin to limit the used space for System Restore.

MAB1994

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I figured out how to delete the restore points and as it turns out it had made about 17 restore points in the last three days! I deleted these and it gave me back all the missing disk space i had lost, about 20 gb worth. Thanks sminlal that had me really baffled.