Sign in with
Your question

Re-Installing XP.......

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Format
Last response: in Windows XP
January 16, 2011 3:56:43 PM

I have an old Dell Dem. 2300 that I use for Downloads, iTunes, etc....The other day I got disk error that "trashed" the hard drive. Now I had a 160g. "slaved" to the "C" drive. I moved the 160g. to the primary drive since it had the Fat 32 and just wanted to install XP on it, well the install started to format the drive and after many "hours" it got to 60% and just stopped.
So, I powered it down/up got to the DOS prompt and am doing a "Format C:...

Am I going down the right path? Can XP handle/format a 160g. Drive? It's been a long time since I played around with XP and an more than a little "rusty".

I would appreciate any advice, thanks,

Jim

More about : installing

January 16, 2011 5:49:57 PM

Quote:
disable the trashed drive. It seems faulty and windows trying to read it. Just have the 160 drive enabled then do the install

I removed the trashed drive from the PC and put the 160 in it's place. On boot I went to the DOS prompt and formatted C drive, then restarted to install Windows, it didn't like that, so I restarted again and tried a "Quick format" that didn't work, I am formatting again and am sure this isn't going to work either... I just don't undestand what is wrong?

Jim
m
l
January 16, 2011 7:09:19 PM

The drive is set to Master.... Can XP format a 160g. drive before installation of Windows?

Thanks,

Jim
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 9:54:57 PM

I'll give that a try, does that just erase the disk or what, that's a new one to me.
I ran format again and this time it stopped with a "partmgr.sys" error.
I really thought this process would be easy, bad disk out, new disk in, format & boot up............Guess not..

Thanks again,

Jim
m
l
January 17, 2011 12:35:50 AM

Thanks for all the information and pointers. I'll post the results tomorrow..

Jim
m
l
January 17, 2011 12:41:22 PM

I started the process, it's telling me it will take ~9 hrs., is that right?

Jim
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:21:36 AM

Well, it wrote "0"'s to the whole drive. I then re-started the XP install process, it tried to format it again and aborted saying the disk had errors and couldn't format it....
Did I miss something that I should have done after it "cleaned" the drive using that program?

Thanks,

Jim
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:15:37 PM

I am now getting "Setup was unable to format the partition" . Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:53:10 PM

If it's the size of the HD (160g) that is preventing me from doing this process I have a 60g. I can use, but it has never had an operationg system installed on it. Now, in the "old days" you needed a floopy with some boot information on it to install windows, is there a way to get around that?

One more thing, after I run Disk Kill I get:

80h
Primary Unknown: 149.9g
Unallocated 10.34mb

Thanks,

Jim
m
l
January 19, 2011 1:54:16 AM

Thanks for checking all this out for me, it XP and I have XPro with Sp2 on another disk.. I really can't figure out why I can't install windows. Cna it be the size of the drive?

I appreciate your help,

Jim
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:27:09 AM

The one I have with SP2 is a Windows XP Pro. upgrade.

Jim
m
l
January 19, 2011 2:43:26 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot. Although I am still wondering why after I "0"ed the drive now when I try to install Xp it starts the formating process (the quick one doesn't work) it just hangs on 0% formatted? Can that be because SP1 isn't there?

I'll post the results,

Jim
m
l
January 20, 2011 6:00:28 AM

jim101 said:
I have an old Dell Dem. 2300 that I use for Downloads, iTunes, etc....The other day I got disk error that "trashed" the hard drive. Now I had a 160g. "slaved" to the "C" drive. I moved the 160g. to the primary drive since it had the Fat 32 and just wanted to install XP on it, well the install started to format the drive and after many "hours" it got to 60% and just stopped.
So, I powered it down/up got to the DOS prompt and am doing a "Format C:...

Am I going down the right path? Can XP handle/format a 160g. Drive? It's been a long time since I played around with XP and an more than a little "rusty".

I would appreciate any advice, thanks,

Jim

Jim, I see you actually need to convert original fat 32 partition, do you wan to convert to NTFS? actually, you need not ro reinstall the system, simply, u can use some third party utility, i recommend u one free software easeus partition master, it may simplify your work. here is the detailed instruction http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/...
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:02:06 PM

Dadiggle,

I am not having much luck adding SP1 to XP. If I can't get it going, I have a 60g. that I could use to avoid adding SP1. But, it has never had an operating system on it. How do I avoid having to use a "boot disk" to kick start the install since I don't have one?

Thanks,

Jim

m
l
January 29, 2011 12:13:25 PM

Best answer selected by jim101.
m
l
!