Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

crossfire and SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 13, 2008 11:47:51 PM

is it possible to SLI on an intel motherboard?
is it possible to crossfire on an nvidia motherboard?

More about : crossfire sli

September 13, 2008 11:53:28 PM

Nica Guy said:
is it possible to SLI on an intel motherboard?
is it possible to crossfire on an nvidia motherboard?


No. The only exception is Intel's ultra high end Skulltrail dual cpu board, with allows both sli and cf. 4pciex16 slots, for quad sli/cf, or if you use x2 cards, octo sli/cf. Like it? That would be $630. :na: 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 13, 2008 11:58:51 PM

damn... i thought it was possible to crossfire on nvidia motherboards...
Related resources
September 14, 2008 12:00:39 AM

X58 is rumored to support SLI, which should mean we'll finally have a universal option. Just have to wait and see.
September 14, 2008 12:01:06 AM

i picked my video card alreafdy a 9800 gx2... i just dont know whatll be best for the future an intel or nvidia board...
September 14, 2008 12:05:09 AM

Nica Guy said:
everyone says nvidia boards suck...
what do u guys think of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


680i board suck. The 780i board you linked is decent. It overclocks as well as a p35 board. Oc performance is definitely lower than x38/48/p35, but still enough to run a q6600 with 9x multiplier at 3.6ghz.
September 14, 2008 12:08:27 AM

is that what ppl complain about the nvidia boards? overclocking?
cause honestly i dont give a damn about extreme overclocking, as long as my q6600 can reach 3.2 on air im perfectly fine...
is that the only bad things about this boards?
September 14, 2008 12:28:15 AM

Nica Guy said:
is that what ppl complain about the nvidia boards? overclocking?
cause honestly i dont give a damn about extreme overclocking, as long as my q6600 can reach 3.2 on air im perfectly fine...
is that the only bad things about this boards?


Do a google search, I've heard stability problems, hard drive problems, and incompatibilities on 780 and 790i, supposedly it's worse than on the 680i.
September 14, 2008 12:29:46 AM

then ill just go for an x48
September 14, 2008 12:30:38 AM

x48 is very good isnt it?
September 14, 2008 12:31:26 AM

also, 9800gx2 is perfectly compatible with intel boards?
September 14, 2008 12:46:40 AM

Any board with an x16 slot, no matter what chipset will work with any video card. The 750i nvidia chipset is terrible, and has difficulty getting any overclocking so stray away there. x48 is great.
September 14, 2008 12:50:49 AM

emp said:
Do a google search, I've heard stability problems, hard drive problems, and incompatibilities on 780 and 790i, supposedly it's worse than on the 680i.


Okay, that's just not possible. Nothing can be worse than 680i. :na: 

780i is frequently used, and overwhelming majority of people have no problem with it. Of course, at the same price of x38/48 while does not overclock nearly as well, it's bad value. But other than price, it's not a bad board.

If you run single card, consider p45. Cheap, reliable, and high performing. Just no cf/sli.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes, 9800gx2 is perfectly compatible with Intel motherboards.
September 14, 2008 12:51:53 AM

kk thanks

rig is done. ill place the order what do u think? should i change anything?

880 Watt PSU
9800gx2
x48 motherboard
22" acer monitor
4 gb 1066mhz memory
300 gb velociraptor
q6600
windows xp pro 32bit
Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler
September 14, 2008 12:54:01 AM

i had the biostar p45 and it was really good board thing is i want to go crossfire in the future... when ati releases something real good for the money...
September 14, 2008 12:59:15 AM

Nica Guy said:
kk thanks

rig is done. ill place the order what do u think? should i change anything?

880 Watt PSU
9800gx2
x48 motherboard
22" acer monitor
4 gb 1066mhz memory
300 gb velociraptor
q6600
windows xp pro 32bit
Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler


Get 64bit Vista instead of 32bit XP. They say Vista is too heavy, but they said the same thing with XP vs 2000 back when XP came out. On a relatively powerful new computer, it's a non-issue. The extra ram io addressing can come in handy. 64bit XP is not a wise alternative as it has driver problems that's unlikely to be resolved due to everyone moving to 64bit Vista and skipping over 64bit XP. At this point, there is basically no driver problems for 64bit Vista.

If you want upgradibility, consider 4870 instead of 9800gx2, so you can add another 4870 later to outperform a single 9800gx2. The problem is single 4870 cost the same as 9800gx2 but perform far lower, resulting in much lower performance in the near term.

If you don't plan cf anyway, consider a cheap p45 at half the price while delivering the same performance, just no cf.

Otherwise looks good.
September 14, 2008 1:01:35 AM

i plan to crossfire in the future but as u said 4870 is same price as gx2 so when the gx2 gets obsolete in a year or two ill crossfire...
is 4gb memory enough for vista 64?
September 14, 2008 1:02:33 AM

should i get the 64 bit home basic vista or i should go for ultimate or premium or something like that? what is the diference?
September 14, 2008 1:02:49 AM

Nica Guy said:
this is my case, i have it home already

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

which i have for sale real cheap $100 shipped... in anyone interested let me know :D 


Case looks fine. Although you might want to keep that large side fan off. It's a proven poor design. All the side fan does is disrupting the otherwise smooth airflow inside the case, and may sometimes worsen temperatures.

For os, just get the cheapest 64bit Vista. You won't miss the "extras" Microsoft throw in. :p 

And 4gb is enough. 64bit Vista doesn't actually consume more ram than 32bit Vista, it's just able to recognize and address more.
September 14, 2008 1:04:18 AM

dagger said:
Get 64bit Vista instead of 32bit XP. They say Vista is too heavy, but they said the same thing with XP vs 2000 back when XP came out. On a relatively powerful new computer, it's a non-issue. The extra ram io addressing can come in handy. 64bit XP is not a wise alternative as it has driver problems that's unlikely to be resolved due to everyone moving to 64bit Vista and skipping over 64bit XP. At this point, there is basically no driver problems for 64bit Vista.

If you want upgradibility, consider 4870 instead of 9800gx2, so you can add another 4870 later to outperform a single 9800gx2. The problem is single 4870 cost the same as 9800gx2 but perform far lower, resulting in much lower performance in the near term.

If you don't plan cf anyway, consider a cheap p45 at half the price while delivering the same performance, just no cf.

Otherwise looks good.




what do u mean relatively powerfull pc? i thought it was pretty powerfull what sohuld i change then?
September 14, 2008 1:06:22 AM

Nica Guy said:
what do u mean relatively powerfull pc? i thought it was pretty powerfull what sohuld i change then?


It's very powerful from a mainstream point of view. I was just being an elitist. People in this forum are nuts. They have dual quad Skulltrail rigs for $3k or so. So our standards are skewed. :na: 
September 14, 2008 1:07:43 AM

oh ok lol
September 14, 2008 1:11:37 AM

sweet im done then :) 
i dont like the case though dont know why i bought it...
ill keep it for a while
September 14, 2008 1:12:12 AM

i ordered stalker and call of juarez are they any good?
September 14, 2008 1:20:09 AM

Nica Guy said:
i ordered stalker and call of juarez are they any good?


I played the first Stalker, and thought it's quite good. The second one is supposed to be similar. No idea about Juarez.
September 14, 2008 1:30:38 AM

hey dager how good does ur card performs? they have a pretty good value at newegg...?
September 14, 2008 1:31:15 AM

and suposedly is better than 8800gt.. how about those in sli?
September 14, 2008 1:37:02 AM

It performs adequately for my uses right now, although I'll have to upgrade in the near future. Considered 9800gx2, it was tempting, but decided to wait one more generation for 4870/4870x2 prices to drop, since I have a x38 motherboard.

Performance is still good enough for today's games.



Keep in mind I oced those, so stock cards will perform lower.

They do very well in sli. Performs better than a single 9800gx2 due to higher stock core clock.

Although, since you've decided on an x48 motherboard, you'll be limited to a single 8800gts if going this route. For a new gaming rig, this is a bit lacking. You should get better.
September 14, 2008 1:46:03 AM

thats pretty good for crysis, i think im fine with the gx2 then...
September 14, 2008 2:10:24 AM

Nica Guy said:
thats pretty good for crysis, i think im fine with the gx2 then...


That is only High, Very High takes a big toll. 52-29 fps difference is what distinguishes smooth from slideshow. :na: 
September 14, 2008 2:31:45 AM

hehe still isnt it playable with fps above 20? do u have a link with some age of conan benchmarks with different cards?
September 14, 2008 4:02:48 AM

4 gb is perfect until the next version of windows.
September 14, 2008 3:12:36 PM

dagger said:
Okay, that's just not possible. Nothing can be worse than 680i. :na: 

780i is frequently used, and overwhelming majority of people have no problem with it. Of course, at the same price of x38/48 while does not overclock nearly as well, it's bad value. But other than price, it's not a bad board.

If you run single card, consider p45. Cheap, reliable, and high performing. Just no cf/sli.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes, 9800gx2 is perfectly compatible with Intel motherboards.


Well if it was the overwhelming majority having these game breaking issues on their 780i, trust me we'd be seeing a class action lawsuit already. But I am more concerned with the fact that these seem not to be isolated cases, but people running into these issues that are just not all that uncommon.

To answer your question, the X48 is a very good chipset, however you'd have to pay a premium for it, and seeing as it's only a higher binned X38 chip, it really doesn't make any sense. I'd say get a P45 board with the GX2 and call it a day.
September 14, 2008 8:57:37 PM

i would do that but i want to go crossfire in the future, and i dont want to go through the pain in the a$$ that is change motherboards, so since the money is not an object right now ill go for the better chipset...
!