Sign in with
Your question
Solved

IDE, SATA, PATA connections

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2010 5:09:02 AM

Hi all,
I'm a novice builder trying to put together my first system on my own. I'm trying to save on costs where I can, and I'm curious if I can use an old DVD drive with my new system. The problem is the old drive is IDE, and the mobo I'm leaning toward buying only seems to have SATA and PATA storage capabilities. Will I be able to hook up my old drive should I just suck it up and spend $30 on a new one?

This is the mobo I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks a lot.
January 17, 2010 5:19:53 AM

That board can still accomidate an IDE DVD Drive. IDE/PATA are the same.
m
l
January 17, 2010 5:20:11 AM

It will work, often times the terms IDE and PATA are used interchangably by mistake. PATA and SATA are drive connection types, IDE is actually a hum, how do I put this, like a protocol really. Eh I can't explain it well enough, anyway it will work fine.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2010 2:25:31 PM

the controller type is IDE. to connect the controller to the hdd or the DVD, it takes an interface.there is two type of interface for the IDE controller, The old parallel type, called P-ATA or the new one called S-ATA.

So, if you have a PATA connector, then the drive attatched to it is connected to the controller. And since the controller is the one that drives the devices, the os don't really care as it communicate with the controller and not the devices itself.
m
l
January 17, 2010 4:40:33 PM

Great, thanks so much to all who replied.

Another quick question...I'm looking at OEM SATA hard drives - will a retail mobo come with SATA cables or should I buy one separately?

Thanks again.
m
l
January 17, 2010 4:52:32 PM

normally, there is at least one SATA cable included. high end board tend to have more.
m
l
January 17, 2010 5:24:43 PM

Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks again.
m
l

Best solution

a c 357 G Storage
January 19, 2010 4:00:03 AM

Yes, you can use an old IDE optical drive as long as your new mobo has at least one PATA controller connector. As others said, PATA and IDE tend to be used interchangeably.

If you do use a PATA device or two, here's a review of how. Any PATA controller and mobo connector can support TWO devices on it, so you should get a ribbon cable that has three connectors on it, not two. The ribbon cable should be called "80-conductor" even though the connectors have only 40 holes in them (sometimes one blanked off). If you start counting across the ribbon, though, you'll get to 20 wires while you are still only 1/4 of the way across. The blue connector on one end is the one that plugs into the mobo socket; the others are for drive units. Even if you have only one PATA device, get one of these cables - you can leave one connector unused. On each connector there is a blanked-off pin and a molded bump on one side of the plastic so that you can only plug them into their matching connectors the right way.

Because any PATA channel can support up to 2 devices, there is a way to identify each uniquely, and it is done with Jumpers - little plastic blocks that have metal contacts inside, and they are placed over a pair of pins on the back edge of the drive unit. (Special note for SATA units: although some have jumpers on pins on them, they are NOT for setting Master and Slave, so don't change them until you know what they really do!) Look on the drive itself for a diagram of how this is done. Normally your possible choices are "Master", "Slave" or "CS" for "Cable Select". Some drives split the first choice into "Master with Slave Present" and "Master with No Slave". IMPORTANT NOTE that confuses some: Master and Slave only have meaning in the context of ONE PATA channel. There is no such thing as a "Master" drive for the whole machine, nor does the computer have any "Slaves" subordinate to a "Master".

Now, how to set jumpers. Here are the guidelines.
1. EVERY PATA port MUST have one Master unit. Usually this is done by setting the jumpers on that unit to Master, then plugging that unit into the END of the cable (usually black connector).
2. IF you have a second unit on the cable / port, it MUST be the Slave, so set its jumpers that way. Connect it to the MIDDLE connector usually grey).
3. As an ALTERNATIVE, you can set BOTH units to "CS". Then the one you connect to the END of the cable will be the Master. "CS" even works for ONE unit as long as you plug it into the end connector.
4. IF you have both a hard drive and an optical drive on one cable / port, it is recommended that you make the hard drive the Master, and the optical unit the Slave, just because in the past some optical units could not function as Master in this mix. However, two hard drives have no such issue, of course. Two optical drives sharing one cable/port have no problem if you set one to Master and one to Slave (or both to CS).
5. IF you have TWO PATA ports on your mobo and only two IDE / PATA devices to connect, there is a small performance speed advantage to getting two cables and setting up each device as the Master of its own port.
January 21, 2010 9:28:29 PM

Best answer selected by Chickenlimbo.
m
l
!