Sign in with
Your question

Future Proof, game rig around a 48700x2

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2008 9:14:30 PM

Hey Folks

I bought a 4870x2 to upgrade my computer and before I put it in, the computer met an untimely death by minor house flood.

Anyways, I am the kind of guy who puts 120k on my cars before I get a new one, and my old rig was on the bottom edge of what a 4870x2 could even run on. Also, I have updated parts on my computers before but I have never designed and built one from an empty case up.
So I am reading all I can, and everything seems straight forward. I have the 4870x2, and want a game rig that plays everything out now (DirectX 10) with lots of eye candy and that will still be viable a decent amount of time in the future.
Existing monitor is a Samsung 245t (24" widescreen)
I might want to add a second 4870X2 once the price drops.
This will be a Vista machine, probably 64bit.
I "think" I want 2 hard drives, one dedicated to games and one for photos and video and everything else.
Can you all recommend a CPU, mobo, memory, HDs, PSU, etc... that will be decently future proof. I have never OCed but may want to in the future. Should I add a CPU cooler now in case I do (and if so which one?).

I think that is all, but if there are any issues or parts I have forgotten please feel free to add them into the discussion.
Anonymous
August 18, 2008 9:22:38 PM

anything with a 48700 X2 would run light years around anything today :D 

just curious, where did you get one? I thought they released in 2243 :p 
August 18, 2008 9:33:48 PM

"anything with a 48700 X2 would run light yearshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-year around anything today

just curious, where did you get one? I thought they released in 2243 "

Lol, yep, I know peoples who know peoples, If youse know what I mean...
!