2x4870 CrossFire help

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2008 1:47:10 AM

I just built my new pc with 2 x Radeon 4870 HD video cards on an Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard.

- I have both ATI crossfire bridges connected.

- In device manager both my video cards show up as Asus 4800 series under display adapters

- In Catalyst Control Center it only shows 1 Asus Radeon 4870 card. I enabled crossfire through the CCC anyays

- I updated to the latest CCC vers. 8.8 (I believe) and it still only shows 1 adapter

- Display properties from the desktop shows my primary monitor enabled and 3 additional monitors (all with the option to extend the desktop)

Question: I can't seem to figure out how come only 1 video card shows up in the CCC? Once it does show up can I assume my crossfire is working appropriately?

Thank you for your time and help

More about : 2x4870 crossfire

September 14, 2008 2:26:53 AM

I recently built a new computer too and I've had the same issue. I can't figure out if the first 4870 is working with the second but I can say this,

One, I read on ATi.com that you must have Windows Vista for Crossfire to work properly.

Two, I used Catalyst 8.6 that came with the video cards and on CCC under ATi Overdrive there is a window for enabling or disabling Crossfire.

Problem is they would overheat the more intense games I played. So I updated to Catalyst 8.8 and now I don't overheat but the Crossfire window is gone. So my guess is if the computer is seeing two cards either in Display Properties or Device Manager, then ATi is doing what it should be doing.
September 14, 2008 2:39:05 AM

I am running Windows XP SP2 - is there a way for me to test or know if crossfire is working properly?

I'm not leaving a $300 video card in my machine for kicks and giggles...
September 14, 2008 5:15:02 AM

Sure, take one card out and benchmark, then compare it against what you get now.

!