Dos file transfer to flash drive

Mel07

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I accidentally wiped out the task manager on my PC trying to get rid of a Trojan virus. Now when I reboot all I get is the desktop with no icons, no start button, nothing. When I do cntrl, alt, delete I get the message your administrator has disabled the task manager. I need to at least get the pics off of there before I wipe out everything and start all over.
1. is it possible to reinstall the task manager from DOS prompt?
2. is it possible to copy files from dos to a usb flash and use on another PC?

Thanks- the pics are of a newborn and they are the only copies!

Solution
Yes, Dos will work, but you will need to get to it after windows has loaded. Windows loads the USB drivers. Shouldn't have to worry about truncated file names (that 8+3). Make sure your thumbdrive has enough space.

If you have access to a 2nd computer, just:
(1) pull the drive
(2) put into a USB enclosure
(3) Plug into 2nd computer
(4) transfer photos to Thumbdrive or to a DVD disk(s).
(5) Remove HDD and return to your computer.

G

See if you can get the USB stick recognised from the Command Prompt (DOS box) or in Safe Mode then you have to navigate using DOS commands and hope you can remember the full folder names (where they are truncated).

Personally, in this situation with a desktop computer I would install a spare drive and, as you plan, start in Safe Mode and copy stuff using DOS from the command prompt.

Or. as Windows is maybe screwed, I'd get a new hard drive, install Windows afresh and copy stuff from the old drive mounted as an external or secondary .

emok99

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
on safe mode

try using winrar..right click on the folder that contains the pictures then add to archives,then browse to you flash drive or any remomable storage then click ok..
i used this when my wpa expired..

Yes, Dos will work, but you will need to get to it after windows has loaded. Windows loads the USB drivers. Shouldn't have to worry about truncated file names (that 8+3). Make sure your thumbdrive has enough space.

If you have access to a 2nd computer, just:
(1) pull the drive
(2) put into a USB enclosure
(3) Plug into 2nd computer
(4) transfer photos to Thumbdrive or to a DVD disk(s).
(5) Remove HDD and return to your computer.

Solution

mikegarty

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013