Sign in with
Your question

Please Help with slow PC, unable to do anything.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 5, 2008 12:00:23 PM

Hello, I'm currently having a problem with my computer and I hope someone will be able to help me. :hello: 

Recently, my computer underwent a virus attack, but I was able to remove the virus successfully with no side effects for a week. Suddenly, one day, showed the CMOS , switching to defaults - error, and I pressed F1 to boot.
Now, the computer is so slow it takes forever to boot up, to log in etc. It's so slow it took an entire night to half-finish repairing Windows, and it's still going.

Please help, as I am out of ideas, the best I can think of is a hardware problem, probably the harddrive.

Please help in any way possible.

Pun

More about : slow unable

December 5, 2008 9:27:17 PM

Pun said:
Hello, I'm currently having a problem with my computer and I hope someone will be able to help me. :hello: 

Recently, my computer underwent a virus attack, but I was able to remove the virus successfully with no side effects for a week. Suddenly, one day, showed the CMOS , switching to defaults - error, and I pressed F1 to boot.
Now, the computer is so slow it takes forever to boot up, to log in etc. It's so slow it took an entire night to half-finish repairing Windows, and it's still going.

Please help, as I am out of ideas, the best I can think of is a hardware problem, probably the harddrive.

Please help in any way possible.

Pun

are you saying that everything went back to default settings? was your pc o/c at all?
December 5, 2008 9:30:59 PM

first, run chkdsk. heres a link if u dont know how http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html
type the command to check the drive (vchkdsk c: /f /r) and then reboot. a screen should come up saying its checking the drive. if youve got massive software bugs it might reboot a coupla times during the check. if it seems frozen, leave it for half an hour then reboot.
then try running avg and spybot. both free and both good.
Related resources
December 5, 2008 9:35:56 PM

matt2k said:
first, run chkdsk. heres a link if u dont know how http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html
type the command to check the drive (vchkdsk c: /f /r) and then reboot. a screen should come up saying its checking the drive. if youve got massive software bugs it might reboot a coupla times during the check. if it seems frozen, leave it for half an hour then reboot.
then try running avg and spybot. both free and both good.

+1 regarding avg and spybot, both good however spybot always slows down my pc, and avg does not, but that could just be me
December 6, 2008 8:21:37 AM

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. No, my pc is not overclocked at all, and like I mentioned, everything is too slow even to boot, I went to another forum, asking the same question and they recommended I replace my CMOS battery, as the date keeps resetting every time I reboot.

BTW, Spybot is significantly faster than AVG for me.
December 6, 2008 9:34:12 AM

two different programs for two different jobs guys. both should be used in conjunction with each other.
December 6, 2008 11:19:23 AM

Yes, I agree, I do would never run Spybot alone.

Back to topic, what do you guys think about what I said previously? Do you think it's the CMOS battery?
December 6, 2008 11:29:09 AM

Im no expert, but if your battery is dead and you motherboard has reset to manufacture settings, there is a good chance that other settings in your bios have been reset too. Maybe this is the problem.

Did you setup the bios originally your self or is the PC one that you purchased already setup? If you setup the bios originally go back and check everything is normal.
December 7, 2008 12:46:24 PM

Hey, Alan, thanks for the reply, yes, I've checked the BIOS settings resets everytime along with my time, how does the CMOS battery explain the pc's extremely slow speed? Anyone?
December 7, 2008 3:29:30 PM

that wouldnt effect it as the cmos setting have nothing to do with the os its just to store your BIOS settings, go to run and type in msconfig, once that is up go to startup and turn of all programs you dont need to have open on stat up like java, java apps open java when they need hem so it does not need to be started on start up. Dont turn of firewalls or anti virus as you need them on or any system drivers like ATI or NVIDIA. After that try system Defrag to make you cluster continuous as that make's the HDD run faster as it can access files quicker. also run disc clean up that will remove temp files temp internet files and other rubish click all that apply for the clean up. also try a memory test program you can download one from windows but you need a flopy disk as it works befor windows kicks in and that test's for memory errors that the virus may have cuased.
December 7, 2008 4:06:37 PM

No, I can't, previously the pc was very fast and suddenly one morning I got the CMOS error and the pc is now so slow I can't even log in and when I do it takes hours so it must be some hardware problem. What are the chances of my harddrive failing?
December 8, 2008 5:57:28 AM

buy a new CR2030 Replace it see what that does but it could be the mobo if the CMOS chip is failing then theres not alot you can do apart from buy a new mobo. try and do a BIOS update but be careful as if it fails it can kill the mobo. Try getting a HDD tester of the net and check for cross-linked clusters (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/83140) or any other errors also did you find a memory checker as if theres any errors in the ram this will result in slow systems and crashes (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) you will need a floppy disk for this program as it runs in dos.
December 8, 2008 9:13:47 AM

Ok, I've bought a new Battery, going to replace it momentarily, is there anything specific I should know? Do you need to charge the battery, somehow?
December 8, 2008 9:26:21 AM

READ THE MANUAL! wrongly inserting the battery can cause a fire :/ 
December 8, 2008 9:40:10 AM

Whoa... Ok, I'll get right on that! Should I charge it somehow
December 8, 2008 10:59:25 AM

Make sure the battery is CR2032 sorry i did put CR2030 witch is worng iv just noticed my mistake, and yes READ THE MANUAL on installing battery's nomaly its the + up but double check as i may be wrong.
December 8, 2008 11:46:24 AM

Ok, I've changed the battery and my pc didn't catch flame. Yeah!
Only, it didn't help... It showed the cmos checksum error message again and it 's still as slow as hell... *cries* What do I do now?
December 8, 2008 4:15:30 PM

did you find a memory checker as if theres any errors in the ram this will result in slow systems and crashes (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) you will need a floppy disk for this program as it runs in dos.
December 8, 2008 4:18:09 PM

Or even a BIOS update but remember to write down all the BIOS settings and make sure you have a floppy disk and drive for the update or the correct flash program for that mobo doing this wrong or turning the pc of while updating can result in a dead mobo.
December 8, 2008 6:04:01 PM

Ok, what if I remove one stick of memory, then the other etc, thereby testing it? After that I guess I'll go the long way - floppy etc, I'll have to install a floppy drive in my pc first though, never thought I'd need one!
December 9, 2008 5:19:20 AM

i know but the MS ram tester don't seem to work on cd it always ask's for a floppy, tbh you my just need to update the BIOS if you had a CMOS virus it may have corrupted it witch is why the system is acting strange but do basic trouble shooting as in take everything on and just keep the basic as in video card ram psu and cpu and then if it works you know its one of the ram sticks or a bit of hardware, also do the most obvious things like check the psu for spikes in the voltage and test it with a PSU tester there about £10 here in the UK and see if it is providing the correct voltages as this also may cause the pc to run slow.
December 9, 2008 5:50:27 AM

take out both sticks and put one in slot 1, not 2...
December 9, 2008 6:18:51 AM

Ok, thanks everyone, today is Judgement Day for my pc! I'll post again when I discover something.
December 9, 2008 8:16:07 AM

Ok, everyone, I got my Puppy Linux Live CD out and tried it out- The PC was as fast as ever, it mounted the drives as fast as ever, I listened music from the drive with the XP installation etc, everything seems fine from the live CD perspective, maybe not a hardware problem after all? Maybe I just need to format my harddrive and install a new XP, it has been 3 years... What do you think?
December 9, 2008 5:33:11 PM

could be an idea as you may still have a virus that you'r scanner didn't find or may be the virus has attacked you'r WFP (Windows File Protection) files if this has happened then the virus has made changes in these files and that can slow the system, try using the SFC ( system file checker ) utility. You can access this by going to start - run - ( type) CMD this will bring up the command prompt. In cmd type sfc /scannow and this will verify your WFP files, you will need your Windows cd as it will need it to replace any changed files that the virus may have attacked. if this does not work then format and start fresh.
December 9, 2008 6:45:27 PM

Hm.... Sounds like it is in the CMOS itself that is causing the problem. For some motherboards you would need to change the clock speed to bring out the correct CPU speed. A chip rated at 2.8GHz can easily be mistaken for a 1.1GHz if the clock speed is not set right. For that setting you would have to fall back to the motherboard manual, and find out the exact setting.

One way to check this is to check the system properties, by either going into the control panel (I am stating this in XP OS) and look for System, or right click on My Computer, and click for properties.

If you happen to come across that bad virus that scrambled the harddisk structure, reformat would be the only sane choice left.
December 9, 2008 9:16:40 PM

as i said try the SFC first before formatting as this may solve the problem and safe all the hassle of re-istalling, updates,drivers . . . .ect.. also if that was the case it would effect the Linux os witch it didn't:) .
December 10, 2008 6:31:59 AM

Only one problem- I can't use SFC as I previously tried to repair windows with the cd, and now, because of the pc's slow speed I'm unable to log in(Because it wants to do that whole 40 min repair thing). I can use my Linux Live CD to put all my necessary files on my second harddrive. Perhaps I should format and end this thing once and for all. I'm going to try one more thing: Put another harddrive with a another XP installation in my PC, if it boots as fast as it should, I'll format my real OS harddrive and start from scratch.
December 10, 2008 7:09:28 AM

Sorry to post so soon again, but I thought everyone should know this:
It's not the software! I replaced the harddrive with another one which also had a XP installation, and it booted up just as slow! Now, here's the good part: I don't need to format... Here's the bad part: It's hardware related. I do not think it's memory, as my Linux Live CD is copied to RAM, and it should have been just as slow, if it were the memory, shouldn't it? I really don't know, motherboard?
December 10, 2008 8:00:31 AM

CMOS?
December 10, 2008 10:08:58 AM

I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, it doesn't give the CMOS error anymore, however it skips the first screen when starting up your pc(The one that checks for drives etc)
December 12, 2008 11:22:24 AM

Hmm, I still haven't solved my problem and I forgot to mention that a few days before the first incident, a Boot sector scan was "scheduled" every time I tried start up. Could it be a virus that affected my BIOS?
!