Your question

Windows xp boot sequence

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Desktops
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 17, 2011 2:28:56 AM

How can I see behind the blank desktop to see what is going on during the painting of the desktop icons?

It seems to take 3 minutes to paint the desktop. By using msconfig to remove the startup for Registry First aid I can knock a minute off that. I prefer not to disable the startup of Avast which is my main antivirus. I suppose that that would also knock off some time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : windows boot sequence

January 17, 2011 1:05:50 PM

What icons show up in the system tray after the PC is booted? Also what are your system specs? Check the registry in HKCU\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, what programs are listed there?
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:17:09 PM

System Tray icons include: Local Area Connection, Ad-Aware, Avast Antivirus, Volume, and Safely remove Hardware.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run contains CTFMON.EXE only.

I suppose I could remove Adaware from the system tray to see what that does.

Thanks for the quick reply.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 1:32:33 PM

Did you clean up your Run entries manually? I have never seen a system with only one entry there. Your system seems pretty clean, list your system specs please, you may just need to add RAM. Have you fully expanded the system tray (meaning there is no bubble with an arrow there hiding more icons)?

Have you ran a full spyware/virus scan? Try Malwarebytles also, it picks up things Adaware can miss.

If this is a new thing that's happening, try a restore to an earlier Restore Point.
m
l
January 17, 2011 4:16:12 PM

Did you clean up your Run entries manually? I have never seen a system with only one entry there. Your system seems pretty clean, list your system specs please, you may just need to add RAM. Have you fully expanded the system tray (meaning there is no bubble with an arrow there hiding more icons)?

Have you ran a full spyware/virus scan? Try Malwarebytles also, it picks up things Adaware can miss.

If this is a new thing that's happening, try a restore to an earlier Restore Point.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, I do occasionally clean up run entries manually. However, I have not done so recently. It might interest you to know that in addition to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run which contains CTFMON.EXE only, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run contains Adobe Reader V9.0, Avast V5.0, and MSCONFIG.EXE/auto.

I an running Windows XP for Home V5.1 SP3. I have 1.3 GB RAM.

I have run full spyware/virus scans and continue to do so manually from time to time as well as the automatic daily run of AVAST. I even run Malwarebytes as needed.

Yes this is a relatively new issue for me, but I have no idea when it actually started since I only do cold boots once a week or when I have no other choice. I do not have a recent restore point that seems to be prior to the time The excruciatingly slow painting began.

I hope this answers your questions. Thank you for sharing your precious time and expertise.

m
l
January 27, 2011 2:13:17 PM

hang-the-9 said:

It has been 10 days since I provided answers to the questions raised. No one has proposed any way to look behind the scenes at desktop painting time. Could it be that I may have too many icons active on the desktop? I have close to 100 icons on the desktop.
m
l
January 27, 2011 3:04:03 PM

Why not just start Task Manager and see what processes are taking up the CPU time?
m
l
January 29, 2011 6:37:52 PM

desk top icons are known to slow down startup. Could you move some to MyDocs and keep shortcuts on your desktop?
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:29:57 PM

Ijack said:
Why not just start Task Manager and see what processes are taking up the CPU time?

Thank you IJack. I have, indeed, looked at task manager many times after bootup is complete. The issue here is that I am not aware that you can start task manager before the desktop is completely painted. I will however try to do so the next time I reboot.
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:37:15 PM

pietrzj said:
desk top icons are known to slow down startup. Could you move some to MyDocs and keep shortcuts on your desktop?

Thank you Pietrzj.

I appreciate your suggestion, however, I am not completely clear about your message.

You say it is known that desktop icons are known to slow down startup. You do not give any indication to what extent that may be true. Could the slowdown exceed 3 minutes for the painting phase of startup? If so, what is the optimum number of desktop icons?

You suggest moving icons off the desktop yet you say to keep shortcuts on the desktop. Are not the icons shortcuts?

m
l
February 7, 2011 5:38:54 PM

You didn't list your system specs, but 1.3g of ram sounds low for today's standards. I like to have at least 2g of ram in XP.

Also, check your services and switch any unneeded ones to "disabled" or "manual". Windows launches all services before running registry entries in the "run" portion of the registry.

This chart may help you.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
m
l
February 8, 2011 2:54:00 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You didn't list your system specs, but 1.3g of ram sounds low for today's standards. I like to have at least 2g of ram in XP.

Also, check your services and switch any unneeded ones to "disabled" or "manual". Windows launches all services before running registry entries in the "run" portion of the registry.

This chart may help you.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Thank you Hawkeye22.

I appreciate your insights and will be checking out the blackviper chart as soon as I can.

Thanks again.
m
l
February 8, 2011 3:02:33 PM

Just so you know, black viper isn't the only service chart out there. You can google for others. Also, note which services you disable, that way if windows starts acting weird, you can go back and enable the service again.
m
l
February 8, 2011 9:45:57 PM

When I said icons on the desktop slow down the startup, I meant documents rather than icons, i.e stuff that are not shortcuts but stuff you place directly on the desktop.

By slow I am talking seconds rather than minutes.

My PC used to take over 3 minutes to boot to the log on screen (not due to icons on the desktop). I cleaned up the registry and removed AV software, but it never got it down much at all. In the end I did a fresh install, and now it is less than 1min.
m
l
February 9, 2011 10:42:12 AM

pietrzj said:
In the end I did a fresh install, and now it is less than 1min.

Most likely registry bloat then.
m
l
February 9, 2011 11:01:14 AM

hubscher said:
How can I see behind the blank desktop to see what is going on during the painting of the desktop icons?

It seems to take 3 minutes to paint the desktop. By using msconfig to remove the startup for Registry First aid I can knock a minute off that. I prefer not to disable the startup of Avast which is my main antivirus. I suppose that that would also knock off some time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hi hubscher first let start with get rid of the registryfirst aid infamous scam software

use freeware like ccleaner, regseeker, iobit system etc......... but you better get rid of that scam now

you dont need to disbale antivirus !!

look for uneeded services you can disable>also sometimes when you installed programs some of them

not only mark themself on the startup , but also put their useless services in your services manager

some of useless for 99% users services:

remote registry

smart card

messenger

netmeeting

remote desktop sharing

error reporting services

and the list goes on.............

you can use this good guide from the eleder geek of xp:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

m
l