Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Hi all,
Need some help.
I want to upgrade the heatsink on a chip. Currently there is an alaminum chip stuck on with some generic adhesive thermal paste so I need to find a way of removing it and it seems to be firmly in place. Any suggestions on things I can use?
Cheers
CC

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
alcohol (not vodka - doh!). Any kind will do, I use some ancient crap that came with a cd cleaner. Oh and use a cloth or whatever that wont shed fibres, again - any will do (I use kitchen towel).

You dont need to bother with some magic remover or cloth, just get whatever is cheapest or easiest to hand.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
alcohol (not vodka - doh!). Any kind will do, I use some ancient crap that came with a cd cleaner. Oh and use a cloth or whatever that wont shed fibres, again - any will do (I use kitchen towel).

You dont need to bother with some magic remover or cloth, just get whatever is cheapest or easiest to hand.

EDIT: did you mean the chip is stuck to the heatsink? If so, leave the pc on for a bit and take the heatsink of while the cpu is stick warm, this will make it easier.