Solved

GA-EP45-UD3R Host clock issue

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 27, 2009 3:14:00 AM

This was my setup:

GA-EP45-UD3R
Intel Quad Q6600
Radeon 3870
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 4GB (2x2048) D/C Kit PN - OCZ2P10664GK
OCZ Vendetta 2
500wPS

I had the CPU clocked 3.4GHZ with the Vcore at 1.45
It ran stable that way.
Now I have the same setup but with two different things.

The GPU is now the MSI R4890 OC ed
The PSU is now 700W

The system will not post with the OC or any overclock after upgrading from the 3870 to 4890. Even if I set the stock speed the system will power cycle and post with I guess its own settings.
The system seems to run fine this way. I can even game. But I would like to have my overclock.
I have read around and I cant find any info on a setup like mine.

I did the bios update before I upgraded the PSU to the 700w. I was at it for awhile with the 500w. Then I figured maybe although the 500w should be enough theoretically, perhaps I needed more watts so then I went out and got the OCZ stealth 700w. Then I installed that and the results were the same. When I set the clock and voltage.

I think it has to do with something that happens when I turn on host clock control. To experiment I turned it on again and turned the clock down even past the stock and it would not post. After 15 seconds it powered down and then posted again after 25 seconds. I think its something else. I am wondering what else happens when Host clock control comes on.

I went back to f5 bios, but I could go no further because that was the bios that added support for raid 200gb and up. The results were the same. Anytime I turn on Host clock control. The system will not post. Its funny because this only started to happen after upgrading the graphics card from the 3870 to 4890. The card works great but I cant have any kind of manual clock on stock, over, under, and all around JK...... It just wont allow for host clock control.

I would love some help getting the proper setting for my rig. This is driving me nuts. I would really appreciate any help.

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2009 3:22:36 AM

Yes! Someone else!!!!

I am having the SAME problem with almost the same board (I have a UD3LR).
Your the first person I've found on the net that had this happen after changing video cards as well.

Gigabyte blamed the videocard.
Asus (who made my 4770 I purchased) said to clean the connector with an eraser, update my motherboard bios, and try it in another PC. The computer overclocks fine with an nVidia GeForce 9400GT.

I have ordered a 4850 which will turn up tomorrow, this card is by Sapphire. I will let you know the results.

I have been completely unable to get any answer from anybody (including GB and Asus).
I suspect it's the motherboard, but wanted to try another card brand first.

Also do you have a manufactuer date for the motherboard? I'm wondering if its a bad batch.

Since yours is an MSI card, this indicates to me that I should've RMA'd my board rather than buy another video card. However I just want it to work, I do not want to redo my motherboard (NB cooler + install + CPU cooler + Windows if I get a different brand).

An interesting trick I found, is if you overclock with EasyTune6, it works, but if you Enable CPU Host Clock control and save the BIOS settings, it fails. I've tried F5 and F7 on my machine (although I think my BIOS revisions are different, but mine came with F5). I've tried everything, spent hours, even underclocking the CPU to 266 bus or different PCI-E frequencies, NOTHING works.
0
October 27, 2009 3:31:00 AM

Well your also first person I see has the same problem. But I did see another thread in tweaktown, but I am not sure if it was because of upgrading the graphics card.

I have the MSI Cyclone 4890 OC ed.

Please let me know how you make out.
0
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2009 3:39:14 AM

Will do.
If you still have the box, any batch numbers or manufacture dates would be fantastic. What country are you from? (trying to find if there are any similarities with our boards, gives me more information to go back to Gigabyte with)
0
October 27, 2009 3:46:10 AM

I am in Florida USA. My board is the GA-EP45UD3R v1.1

Here are the specs:

Brand GIGABYTE
Model GA-EP45-UD3R
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo
FSB 1600/1333MHz
Chipsets
North Bridge Intel P45
South Bridge Intel ICH10R
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1366+/1066
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16 1
PCI Express x1 3
PCI Slots 3
Storage Devices
PATA 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 8
SATA RAID 0/1/5/10
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC889A
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8111C
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
USB 8 x USB 2.0
IEEE 1394 2 x IEEE 1394a
S/PDIF Out 1 x Optical, 1 x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0
Onboard 1394
Onboard 1394 1x 1394a
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"
Power Pin 24 Pin

I still do have the box, but I don't think it will give you anymore info then that.
0
October 27, 2009 2:00:38 PM

If anyone else has this problem, please post.
0
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2009 5:54:05 PM

Yeah, anyone else who's had this, definately speak up.

Mine is an EP45-UD3LR v1.0.

That video card should turn up today, will see if that works tonght. Personally I beleive it is a board fault.
Make sure to signup with Gigabyte and do a support request on their website, so the fault is recorded.
0
October 27, 2009 10:09:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, anyone else who's had this, definately speak up.

Mine is an EP45-UD3LR v1.0.

That video card should turn up today, will see if that works tonght. Personally I beleive it is a board fault.
Make sure to signup with Gigabyte and do a support request on their website
, so the fault is recorded.

Please post your results when you have them.
0
October 28, 2009 4:50:57 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt the problem is caused by your video card.

More likely a ram setting your missing. Ram running too fast, not correct voltage, etc.

For example if your overclock results in you running your 800mhz ddr2 at 960mhz, its likely to fail.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. But anytime I have HCC enabled even at the same value on the left the system will not post. I am just wondering what else happens when HCC is enabled. I tried my 3780 and no problem with that. I am thinking maybe since my 3780 has only 512mb GDDR4 then the it makes the memory run slower, but yeah I tried slowing down the memory clock. It doesn't do anything.

Any other ideas?

Are you zipzoomflyhigh because you work for zipzoomfly? That just happens to be where I bought the 4890.
0
October 28, 2009 4:51:57 PM

SpidersWeb said:
Yeah, anyone else who's had this, definately speak up.

Mine is an EP45-UD3LR v1.0.

That video card should turn up today, will see if that works tonght. Personally I beleive it is a board fault.
Make sure to signup with Gigabyte and do a support request on their website, so the fault is recorded.

Did you ever get the card? What happened?
0

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 5:49:34 PM

Yeah I installed it, then went to sleep (I'm in NZ, so there is like a 16 hour time difference).

Works with the Sapphire 4850!
I'm back at my overclock.
I'm still certain it's a board fault. I'd changed my NB heatsink so didn't want to return the board, but for you I'd probably still recommend trying to RMA the board and seeing if the replacement works better for you.

I can say, with this problem, Sapphire HD4850 512Mb does work correctly.

Now I gotta see if I can return my brand new 4770 that wont work.
Share
October 28, 2009 6:29:11 PM

Thanks for the update. Which model 4770 did you have?
0
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 9:26:17 PM

Asus 4770 Formula 1Gb
0
October 28, 2009 11:13:22 PM

I wonder if memory size has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have a setup that's similar with a 1gb Gddr5 memory vga, and is able to OC on the gb mobo?
0
November 4, 2009 11:43:20 PM

I returned my 700w PSU in exchange for a Asus P5N-D mobo. I now have my MSI 4890 OC with my 500watt PSU all setup on this board and currently overclocked to 3.2GHZ fully stable. So in the end it turns out that it was the motherboard after all.

I contacted Gigabyte about this and as usual they wont admit that their product has a bios issue that needs to be looked in to. Instead they told me they cant make any guarantee nor recommend that that the system will work overclocked. I told them that they should listen again when I say that I dont have to overclock. All I have to do is turn host clock control on with the stock speeds and settings and the system will not post. I really liked that board too. Now I will have to sell it and hope that they correct this issue with future releases.
0
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2009 12:17:19 AM

After deailing with Gigabyte and Asus, I will be moving purchases over to Asus.
Their support seems much better (this isnt the only time Ive had to deal with them, and they've exceeded my expectations).

Asus are giving me a full no-hassle refund (I have an RMA number) for the video card even though it's a motherboard fault. So yeah, I'm ok with my setup for now, but next motherboard will be Asus. Support is much better.

Thanks for the update too, I was fairly certain it was a board issue.
0
November 5, 2009 1:13:07 AM

GB latest reply

"Answer - 831737

Answer : Do not turn on host clock unless you are planning on overclocking, you can try reducing to the bare minimal components installed and updating to the latest bios to see if it'll make any difference on your end.

GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) BIOS below

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Dow...

Question - 831737