ATI Raedon 2400 XT - need 4-pin s-video to component adapter for HD?

jbrad4ou

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Okay, I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT Graphics card that come in my gateway computer. It has two DVI-I ports and a 4-pin S-video port. I'm trying to use this card to run high def signals to my Yamaha receiver - it is a high(er)-end receiver (RX-V1400) but was made before HDMI became standard - just component inputs. I've been using just the 4-pin s-video cable, but would like to upgrade the signal to high-def. I've searced far and wide but have been unable to find the appropriate adapter to do this. I first had a DVI to component adapter, but found out that this card only provides analog through the s-video port. I have found a lot of 9-pin and I think a 7-pin, but no 4-pin adapter cable. It's my understanding that the retail versions of this series of GPUs comes with this cable. This poses two questions.

1 - Does anybody know where I can find a 4-pin to component adapter/cable.
2 - Is this signal going to be any better than the s-video signal I'm receiving right now? The limited literature I have found on this card states that you can convert the s-video to HDTV with an appropriate adapter. Does this mean that the signal will be a true analog HD signal? If not I won't mess with it.

By the way, I have finally figured out that this GPU is most likely made by MSI. I had no idea it would be so hard to find information on an OEM part that comes with a made to order PC.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You don't find adapters because there aren't enough pins on the connector to provide Component Video signals. You need three more pins, but you don't have three more pins. The four you have carry only S-Video signals, nothing better. This must have been a special card produced for Gateway, to special lower standards.

jbrad4ou

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008

The TV doesn't have HDMI either. It is HD, but only has component inputs. My receiver has every input and output except for HDMI. I currently have the s-video going through the reciever where it upconverts to component. Are you of the opinion that the 4-pin s-video signal cannot be converted to HD? I know this is normally not possible, but this particular card states that it can be converted to HDTV though the s-video port.

jbrad4ou

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
okay, I think I figured this out. I looked some more at the different cards in the 2400 class and discovered that the 2400 pro versions that have s-video/tv-out are seven pins - these are the ones that come with a HDTV adapter cable.

MPrck

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I have the same set up on the Gateway with a 2400XT with two DVI-I, and the 4 pin TV out. ATI makes the DVI-I to HDMI, and that should have come with the computer. Take the Adapter, and plug into the DVI-I on the right side of the computer from the front, or looking at it from the back on the left side. That will plug into a HDMI slot on a TV , you need the HDMI cord of course that will put the display on the TV. Then you use the other DVI-I to your monitor, and you may need a adapter for that if your monitor does not have DVI-I port. I have had, or maybe still do ( its misplaced ) the dongle that has the 4 pin that I could have tried using if I could find it. This thing was great as it worked for the TV card, as well as for the 2400XT card. One word ( granddaughters ) lost it, or I put it up so it would not get lost, same thing. Sound of course still needs to be sent via the mainboard or sound card to the computer, as the HDMI will only carry the video on the adapter from the video card. I have mine hooked up to a Panasonic plasma, one of the new 850's using the HDMI 3 game port on the side of the TV. The Panny 850's have the VGA hook up on the back that you can use also. I am playing CFS-3 on it at the 1024-768 setting displaying on both the TH-42PZ85U panasonic TV, and the FHD 2400 gateway monitor. What I think is the problem is the card/OS uses the primary monitor as the biggest one, and the secondary are the smaller monitor without making adjustments for how the monitors look. When I hooked up the TV first with the left port looking at it from the back, then the monitor from the right DVI-I connection it popped right up. Since I just scored the TV on cyber monday from http://www.tigerdirect.com for 799.00 this is the first chance I have had to mess with it. I have to go rent a Blu ray DVD to try that out yet. The card handles the game still with no stutter on both displays so that is good. I tried re-setting the monitor via the OS by how they looked, but was not getting that right, so I just switched the TV from the secondary display to the primary, and it came right up when I plugged the monitor in the secondary, after hooking up the TV first. I too am on another quest for the coveted DONGLE, they exist, because I had one. As I do more, I will post my results here. I have also thought about buying a after market 2400XT card that has the dongle, but that will really set the bar high for the cost of a dongle, haha. That will be my last resort of course.