Can't get CD drive to work (VM)

rainscape

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hi, I cannot figure out how to do this, I'm creating a project, but it turns out I can't use the programs on windows 7 x64, so I installed VMWare, I copied the contents to a disk, but when I view them in the VM, it shows disk size as 0 bytes, and total space as 512 MB... I know the file(s) is on there, because I eject the disk, and put it back in, and can view it on the win7 main machine. Any help can be fine (PS I haven't installed anything on the VM yet, might be something that needs to be installed, I don't know)

Solution
Uninstall? No. Look down in the tray and see what programs are loading with Windows.
Check options, uncheck where it shows "load with Windows" or similar.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Are you developing an application for windows environment but you found out it won't run under windows 7 64 bit? ok how about checking the compatibility tab and try running it on different previous windows version.

The disk is read by Win 7 because it is the host computer.

Check your VM settings to see it is directed to the correct drive....

VM.jpg

So the "Virtual Device node" is reporting it as a CD/DVD device?

and you have it set to connect at power on....

Your host isn't co-operating, or, try an different disk. See if it can be ejected from withing the VM using Explorer.

If you can eject it from the VM, only thing left is a reboot and hope. either that , or a newer version of VM Workstation.

rainscape

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I can eject from VM, I have the latest VM workstation atm, But now Imma have to fix another problem... Somehow I'm using way to much memory for win7 (even without VM running) I guess I'll uninstall some programs)

That's a good thing. :)

You really do need to look at every program that loads with Windows and see if they really are needed all the time. If not, uncheck having it/them start with Windows.

Windows also hides the tray programs if it decides that they are inactive... A most stupid thing for a computer to do, but Microsoft is helping the memory companies sell memory. People think they need more and more memory and faster and faster computers when really it's just that so many programs load with Windows that there is no memory left to run the programs they want at the time they want. So beware of hidden program Icons in the try, there may be more than you think. I know how to make tray icons appear, inactive or not in XP, but I still have no use for Windows 7. It's a personal thing, "All that glitters is Gold" but for who? Win 7 is just a glittery XP and Microsoft gets the gold.

Thanks for the vote. :)

rainscape

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Now I'm having another problem... doing the opposite, putting a file on a CD when the file is on the VM, but it doesn't matter, all I needed was a few text words, but the programs that I transferred to the VM were essential

Normally, by now a moderator would say to start a new thread with a new question, but since they missed this one so far...

I think Nero will run in a VM.

You can copy files to a USB flash drive too.

You can also drag and drop them into the host computer using Windows Explorer unless you disabled drag & drop between machines in the VM.

When Windows 7 is the only machine that can read a CD, the contents of the CD can also be dragged into the VM.