building case from scratch

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
hi!

I am building a PC, and I thought it would be fun to build the case as well - I've never done before, so I hope I don't get electrocuted :pt1cable:

I can't seem to find any info on how to build your own case, I've been googling for days but no luck.

do you guys know of any book or tutorial?
what is the best way to do this is? I could buy just buy "the inside" of the case (e.g. no plastic), and then build around it (although I couldn't find a store that sold that).
ideally, I'd like to just do some crazy shape, but no sure if components can be put together randomly or if they must be in a specific spot - most cases are pretty much the same in terms of size and ratio between width/height.

please, would love some tips to get started!

thanks! :hello:

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
thanks johnny,

I actually did, but I can't find the info I'm looking for:

* can I buy just "the inside" of the case, and then build on top of it?
* can components can be put together randomly or if they must be in a specific spot?

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
If I were you I would buy a cheaper case, strip off parts you don't want then mod it how you like it.
If you go from scratch make sure you measure everything correctly for the motherboard, you don't want any metal touching the back end except for the risers. For the layout of the rest of the parts (hdd, etc...) just make sure they get proper ventilation, but other than that they can go pretty much anywhere.

I have long been interested in quiet PC's, and have frequented that web site. Lots of good info there. I remembered reading about the case.

What do YOU wish to accomplish with building your own case?

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
well, I just don't like how regular cases look.

meaning, the ratio between the height of the tower and the width. it's too narrow and too tall to me.

I'd like to have one a little shorter and wider.

I'm planning on using mesh for the whole thing, something in the bottom to keep it raised from the desk, and something transparent - possibly plexiglass in front.

my idea at this point is to just get an old case, take the motherboard plate, or whatever it's called, remove the parts that I don't need, and cover everythng with mesh.

I've tried to do some research, and there are folks who run their machine with the components showing, so I hope whatever I do I won't get electrocuted or mess up the components ;)

Trapach,

I can't remember the name of the vendor, but someone, somewhere on line sells interior parts. I know I saw several types of drive bays and hard drive cages for sale.

I also ran into another web site that sells acrylic part. It was months ago and I can't remember the name of that site either.

I'll look around and see if I can find them.

I am almost done with my own case mod. I bought a CoolerMaster HAF 932. I decided to go with a black and copper theme. Nothing very exotic.

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
... meaning, I could buy a motherboard tray, and then the resto of the stuff can just be attached to the case walls randomly, right?

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
hey, thanks for the help, johnnylucky.

now, are components dangerous?
meaning, you shouldn't get electrocuted right?

I would make certain that all the parts are connected to a proper ground. In addition to safety, this is probably a requirement for proper PC functioning. If the case is made of a conducting metal, it is no problem. Otherwise, use some grounding wires.

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
thanks, geofelt!

I'll look up what a conducting metal is (no idea).

I was just trying to understand if what I'm doing can possibly be dangerous if not done properly.

let's say that I put everything together and plug it in (with no case) and touch it: would that be like if I put a fork in a socket?

I'm just trying to find out if the case has to be totally sealed and isolated, or if it's gonna be hard getting electrocuted from it :pt1cable:

I know, I'm a newbie :(

I know that you can put the mobo on a piece of cardboard and start it up with no problem. This is probably so, because the psu has a grounded plug, and everything that has a power plug will also have a ground lead. Thinking more about it, ground wires for each component may not actually be necessary.

As geofelt pointed out the psu is grounded. Power flows from the psu to other components so you should okay. The psu is also connected to the back panel through the mounting screws so the chassis frame should be okay too. It will work.

trapach

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
awesome.

my project is gonna be this:
buy a motherboard tray
build a tower made of mesh, then put a plexiglass in the front.

it's gonna look cool.

thanks guys!!!

trapach,

Hope you're still here.

I do case mods. There are several types of modder's mesh. They are not all the same. Some are thin and very flexible. Others are thicker and more rigid. If you are going to use mesh for panels, then use the thicker more rigid mesh. Make sure you have some sort of extra framework to secure the mesh.

If you can get to a Fry's Electronics retail store or a Microcenter.com retail store go take a look at the pc cases. They usually have over 40 cases on their display shelves. It will be worth the trip.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
theres a guy on XS (and i was thinking of it myself actually) who built a wooden case from scratch. plenty of those around! in fact i believe the first PC's were in wooden cases... this also elimenates some risk of short circuiting components!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
you just have to make sure the measurements for the 3.5", 5.25" bays and expansion slots, motherboard risers, mobo I/O plate ETC are the right size and in exactly the right spot! no simple matter indeed.