NO HDD found on Toshiba Tecra after loading WinXP

jecx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
i am trying to re install winXP on my Toshiba laptop then a message pop ups that the HDD is not found. What should I do?

G

Check the BIOS settings and see if the hard drive is being recognised. See manual for how to reach BIOS (sometimes it's press Delete or F2 key at boot)

jecx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
fihart.. i did check the BIOS and it is being recognesed even when I run system check. It was a Vista laptop but i had XP loaded on it. I cant remember the administrators password and now I want to reload XP again.

G

If you are trying to install the operating system FROM a partition on the disk you should probably contact Toshiba.

If you have the XP CD, there shouldn't be any problem installing once the laptop is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive in the BIOS.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If the BIOS is seeing the drive and Win XP is not, it may be necessary to load SATA drivers for Win XP using the F6 method to load a third party driver. I have to go through that process on my system to reload Win XP. Check the manufacturers website and see if they don't have them..

jecx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Mikey5802 - .I purchased a new HDD thinking it would fix the problem. I tried getting into the BIOS however I cannot get to the HDD part.. it wont allow me to highlight that area. It is a toshiba tecra M9..

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
On 01/18 fihart wrote:

>If you are trying to install the operating system FROM a partition on the disk you should probably contact Toshiba.

If you have the XP CD, there shouldn't be any problem installing once the laptop is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive in the BIOS.<

You also wrote: "I cant remember the administrators password and now I want to reload XP again; as well as: i did check the BIOS and it is being recognesed even when I run system check. "

From your posts it sounds like you're installing from a Win XP DVD.

There may be more than one problem. Can you contact Toshiba for help in resetting the BIOS defaults? That would reset the admin password.

If the HDD is SATA, your BIOS may see the drive but Win XP may not, depending on which version of XP you have. Also, do you know if Toshiba supports Win XP on your model? The original version of Win XP doesn't support SATA right out of the box and needs third party SATA drivers loaded with the F6 procedure. I don't remember right off-hand which SP adds the SATA support, it's either SP2 or SP3.

What model Toshiba is it. You posted Tecra M9 but that's not enough info. Need the model number.