Sign in with
Your question

How do these numbers look?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 27, 2009 1:15:44 PM

This is my first time to overclock, so I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing it safely. How the below numbers look? The system is a 6000+ Windsor, Asus Crosshair, 2GB of 5-5-5-15, ATI 3870, Vraptor. This on the stock cooler in a well ventilated case. Does it all look good?

CPU Speed: 3359Mhz
Bus Speed: 224Mhz
HT Speed: 896Mhz
RAM Speed: 373Mhz
CPU Voltage: 1.475
Core 1 Temp: 35
Core 2 Temp 40
CPU Temp 40
(These are idle temps. I wanted to ask you guys to look at the voltage and stuff before I stressed it.)

More about : numbers

October 27, 2009 4:25:52 PM

I got a BSOD in the middle of a video. I decreased the bus speed to 220Mhz, which is a CPU speed of 3.3Ghz. I left the voltage the same, but changed the memory CL to 4-4-4-10. It seems quite stable, but it failed Prime95.

The CPU to HT is from 5x to 4x, and the RAM speed is from 800 to 667Mhz. In Prime95 the temps got to the low 60's. This doesn't seem too bad. Why is it failing the stability test? What should I change?

I know this CPU is only suppose to overclock to about 6.4Ghz max, but I don't see what is stopping mine at 3.3Ghz.
m
l
October 27, 2009 5:02:40 PM

There is no way your processor is going to get near even 5ghz... Where did you read your proc should hit 6>???? Maybe on LN2 and that is just temporary.

What exact parts are in your system? What is the ram rated for(667, 800)? PS? etc.

IMO using the stock cooler is not a good idea for overclocking. You could up the volts to try to get the overclock stable, but that will just raise the temps even further..you might want to invest in a good heatsink before overclocking any further.

I don't go past 60C @ load on my overclocks to make sure the chip is going to last as long as I need it.
Btw what program are you using to check the temps @load?
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2009 6:08:31 PM

Sorry, I meant 3.4Ghz. I haven't found anyone over 3.4Ghz with air. I'm using the stock heat sink (for now), so I don't expect to get to 3.4Ghz stable.

The RAM is 2x1GB OCZ Special Ops 800Mhz 5-5-5-15. The power supply is a 700W FSP (I forget the exact model). The processor is a 6000+ Windsor 125W. The board is an Asus Crosshair.

In Prime95, I keep getting errors on Worker #2. (Example: Final Result was X should be Y, Rounding was X should be Y, ect.) I've looked up the errors on google, and everyone says to up the VCore and possibly the Northbridge and VDIMM. I've slowly up'd it to 1.5V VCore, 1.25V NB, and 1.95V VDIMM. I'm not sure how much higher I should go. The temps have not gotten over 65C, but I'm worried about damaging the hardware with more volts. Plus more volts don't seem to help.

I've been using PC Wizard from Cpuid to keep track of the CPU temp and core temps. I assume this tells accurate readings?
m
l
October 27, 2009 6:40:49 PM

I don't use that program to record temps..but there is a difference of about 5C from speedfan to coretemp...with the later being 5C higher. I just go with which ever program is higher..no need to risk anything.

Do you know what are you ram is running at? Is it running over the 800mhz rating? Most ddr2 modules require uping the volts to 2.1-2.2 to run at their specified speed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2009 7:15:59 PM

I see you lowered your HT from 5x to 4x. Did you do this before you upped the FSB? The reason why I ask is that when I was using the 5400BE on this MoBo it wouldn't even post if I lowered the HT to 4x. So what I did was drop the multiplier 1/2 a notch (14 to 13.5) and run the FSB up, this was done on the default voltage (upping the voltage on this system didn't help performance and only made more heat). here's a screen shot :

m
l
October 27, 2009 10:30:15 PM

What program can I have running to show temps while I stress test?

The RAM was running at 4-4-4-10, but I returned it to 5-5-5-15 in an attempt to get rid of errors. (It didn't help.) The RAM default speed is 800Mhz, but lowered it to 667Mhz. It is now at 367Mhz (734Mhz).

I lowered the HT multiplier at the beginning, because I read that I should keep the HT link at or below 1000Mhz. Is this correct or not? What is the advantage of lowering the multiplier? Will I ultimately be able to achieve a higher, more stable overclock? I'll agree that raising the voltage does nothing.
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 2:15:23 AM

Yes, you want the HT bus 1000MHz or below. Check your ram, you can get errors if its not running at the voltage its supposed to be at. Your Vcore is high, and your ram voltage doesn't seem high enough. As a matter of fact your CPU Vcore seem to high. I don't think you'd need 1.475V to get to 3.2GHz.

m
l
October 28, 2009 2:38:59 AM

I just set everything back to auto and stopped the overclock. Prime95 only got through ~25 minutes before I got the BSOD and a shut down. Does this mean that my normal system is not stable? Supposedly you should be able to run Prime95 for 6-24 hours. I used memtest and memtest+ to ensure that the RAM is fine. Could it have just been the heat since the 6000 125W is a hot chip and I'm using the stock cooler? Does this mean I shouldn't overclock without getting a better cooler?
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 2:45:13 AM

What are your load temps? It could still blue screen if your ram settings aren't right. Even though they are on auto doesn't mean the SPD settings are correct. The 6000+ is a hot one, but without knowing the load temps its impoosible to say.
m
l
October 28, 2009 3:04:51 AM

If auto doesn't find my best RAM settings, what should I do? How can I find them out? Also, it didn't BSOD before. It just came up with an error on the Prime 95 text. What makes the difference?

The highest I've seen were in the low 60's, but that was just in the first five minutes. How do I find the load temps without sitting here watching them? Is there a program that will show my max? (My old laptop would get up to 100C and wouldn't shut down. Of course, it finally burned out a few months ago.)

Here are the options that I have in the bios:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/01/12/asus_crossh...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 3:46:04 AM

Dougx wrote: What program can I have running to show temps while I stress test?

You can download a trial version of Everest Ultimate 502 build 1750 http://www.esoft.web.id/utilities/everest-ultimate-edit...
It has a stress testing program that monitors core temps while running the test.

We also need to know the make and model of your memory.
m
l
October 28, 2009 3:51:12 AM

I'll try Everest and let you know how it works.

The memory is 2x1GB OCZ Special Ops DDR2-800 (OCZ2SOE800 or something).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2009 5:49:06 AM

The reason I asked about your memory was that I was wondering what the voltage specs. are. After going to OCZ's site I see it's 1.8v with an EVP of 1.85v. So you would only be able to up it slightly. Your MoBo goes up in increments of .02 and that would only give you 1.84 which I don't think you'd see any performance gain. But you never know?
m
l
October 28, 2009 1:20:32 PM

Are you suggesting that I should set the memory voltage at 1.84V? I've had it as high as 1.95V. I'm also curious about when and how high I should change the northbridge voltage.

What makes me so confused/frusterated is that I can run Windows and all my programs with the RAM CL at 4 and the CPU at 3.3Ghz, but I can't run Prime95 on stock settings for 30 minutes without an error. How important is it that I pass a stability test? Windows seems stable enough to me.
m
l
October 28, 2009 4:01:00 PM

I just ran Everest Ultimate for 2 hours with everything on auto/stock settings. There were no errors, shut downs, BSOD, ect. The temperatures never got above 56C. Does this stability test show something different than Prime95? Is it safe for me to try overclocking again?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2009 3:14:47 AM

Dougx1317 said:
I just ran Everest Ultimate for 2 hours with everything on auto/stock settings. There were no errors, shut downs, BSOD, ect. The temperatures never got above 56C. Does this stability test show something different than Prime95? Is it safe for me to try overclocking again?

Everest stable for 2 hours isn't bad. Some would say you need to go longer, but that's long enough for my purposes. You may want to game at those settings for an hour or two and make sure there's no hic-ups and you should be good to go.

56c is starting to creep up to the thermal rating of the chip (62c). So more voltage may not be an option.

I have seen other posts where people state that they were not stable running Prime even at stock settings.
I have a feeling it has to do with incompatibility with certain programs or drivers on their systems. Personally I can't use my key-board drivers (Logitech 400) and run prime at stock settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 2:25:41 AM

I like what I've seen and heard about the Xigmatek, but I think with the 6000 being know for running on the warm side, you would more than likely end up being disappointed (as far as OCing goes) with the slight if any gains to be had by purchasing one.
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 3:29:10 AM

The 6000 is also based on the K8 arch, which tops out around 3.4 for air, 3.6-3.8 for water. By todays standards, they just aren't speedy chips. If your at 3.2-3.3, I wouldn't bother.
m
l
October 30, 2009 9:03:05 PM

Sounds good. I finally got it stable at 3220Mhz, 4-4-4-10 804Mhz speeds with little volt increase and moderate temperatures. This is good enough for me. Thanks for all of your help.
m
l
!