e2200 or x2 5000+?

For a cheap gaming build which is the better choice if they cost basically the same?

Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz
or
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz

I plan on doing a moderate OC on whichever I get using the stock cooling. I know Intel is the stock answer at the moment but from some of the things I've read the low end AMD chips might actually be superior for gaming performance?
What do you guys think? A recommendation for a cheap($50-60) motehrboard to pair with your recommendation would be appreciated as well.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
AMD combination will be cheaper, thus probably better bang for the buck. I know 2200 chip OC fairly well but I dont know how that stands with stock cooler and crappy MB (if you go cheap)

AMD on the other hand have very decent MBs with ATI chipsets which OC well and are cheap. You should expect probably ~3GHz OC on the 5000+

I have the 5000+ with AMD 790X chipset and a Zalman 9700 and it OC to 3.2 rock stable

While the E2200 can preform better overclocked, it's performance is going to be dependant on the board more so than an AMD CPU. If you want to get a good board now and upgrade the CPU latter, then it may be better to go with the e2200 and at least a good P45 setup. If you're looking at lower overall cost then go with the Athlon 5000+ and over clock it. Cheap intel boards don't overclock well and of course often offer lower performance than boards based on the better chipsets. With AMD, the chipset has a much lower impact on performance and thus your main consideration would be the boards overclocking abilities. If you are worried about upgradability make sure that the board can support at least 125W CPUs. You may want to take a look at this Asus

ASUS M3A78-CM $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131330

Of course if you're interested in SLi a good board based on the older 570 or 590 chipset should allow you a mild overclock and would be a decent option if you're not concerned about being able to upgrade to a newer phenom. If you're interested in crossfire you will have to spend a little more to get at least a 790x based board.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
that would be a good board. and as previous posters have said, the intel cpu will be the better performer, but a good motherboard to go along with it is going to cost more, so you won't really be getting a better deal.