Idea: compile a list of 'suggested systems'.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Mods - if this is in the wrong spot :non: , please move and I am sorry.

I am just as guilty as anyone else of asking the 'looking to build a system for $xxx, what parts?'

What if there was a sticky thread with a few 'suggested' systems, for example, have 4, 5, 6 price brackets, from very cheap to a few grand (a n00b might not be doing a watercooled quad core and SLI rig overclocked to the last bit). Give a list of a suggested case, PSU, CPU, MB, RAM, HDD, etc. Idea would be, I think there are a lot of people here who want to build their own system for the sake of building their own system, and would like to see an exact build a 'pro' would do (like some of the Tom's system marathons) - and maybe just order those parts and get to work. It can be agonizing (but educational) to spend weeks battling over a motherboard, memory, etc. Some people would like the assurance that the stuff would all fit together, the PSU would have enough power and the right connectors, and it would all work.

Just a thought.

It's been tried before, but because of the changing marketplace with new components and prices changing so quickly it fast becomes obsolete. It would take too much work to keep it updated. You'd also have to take into account the difference of opinions about builds, what should get priority on spending and what the user expects out of the system.