tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I'm about to buy a new PC.
My father one is going to die and as usual i will give mine to him and buy a new one.

This computer will be used for:
Everyday task.
Lineage 2
Premiere
After Effect
Photoshop
and some audio program (Audition, Nuendo etc.)

I already have a good Case, Antec P180 and I will keep it.
For processor I was thinking the Quad Q9550. I know that with games Dual Core atm are the best but playing is not the only thing i need.
The videocard i'm going to is the PowerColor HD 4870 PCS+ a little OC version.
I already have some HD but i will take a couple of the new WD Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS SATA2 7200rpm 16MB, that seem to be one of the best of the moment (a part from raptor that will be too expansive for me) and I will make a Raid.
Now the hard part (for me)
MotherBoard and RAM.
I don't know atm which chipset will be the best with an ATI card and I don't know if take DDR2 or DDR3 Ram. DDR3 ram seems to have so little advantage to good DDR2 that many website suggest to stay with quality DDR2. Anyway 4 gb ram.

So i need suggestion for all and most for MB / Ram.

Also I'm thinking to go 24'' and take the iiyama ProLite B or E2403WS-1.

Than a good cooler and a PSU and I will be fine.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

ace22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
When choosing your motherboard you need to decided what features you want in it. If you are planning on running one video card and never crossfiring or doing an sli configuration meens most motherboards that meet the specs you need and are fast will work. If your going to crossfire or sli you will need a board that supports that. If your current list is up to date you will be using running ati so the question is will you be running crossfire or not?

tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Of course not. If I can find a Xfire ready good solution that not cost so much more than a non xfire i will take that.
Even if maybe i will never use it.

runswindows95

Distinguished
For heavy photo editing and video editing, the two most critical components are CPU and RAM. My advise would be something like this:

Quad CPU
8GB of DDR2
Vista 64-bit

If you do go Intel, get a motherboard built around the P45 chipset.

tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
My last choice. Please tell me what you think about it.

Antec P180 CASE
Corsair 750TX PSU
Gigabyte GA-x48-DS4
Intel Quad Core Q9300
Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2Gb
PowerColor HD 4870 PCS+ Graphic Card
2x WD6400AAKS Hard Drive
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
Samsung SM-S223Q DVD Burner
Iiyama B2403WS 24'' Monitor

Thank you

ace22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
When I built my pc I used my old case with some added cooling and works great. I prefer reusing stuff and not buying new all the time but thats just the hippy in me talking..