Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble getting Window XP SP3 to recognize new SATA HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2010 12:52:30 AM

I'm trying to install a bigger HDD on my desktop computer. I've got an Abit KV8 Pro motherboard. I have a 250GB SATA drive in it right now with no problem. The SATA ports are 1.5Gbs. I tried to install Windows XP SP3 onto a 1.5TB drive and Windows wouldn't recognize the drive (during a fresh install). I am going to return that drive and I bought a 1TB drive to try and that does the same thing. Both the newer drives are capable of 3.0Gbs, would that be my problem?

I can't seem to find much info on Abit's site nor does there technical supprt function work.

There really is no place in the BIOS that I can find to check to see if there is a SATA drive connected.

During the install I've pressed F6 to install SATA drivers from floppy with no luck either although I've been told I don't need those drivers with SP2 or up.

Any ideas?

Thanks
January 18, 2010 2:33:40 AM

GordonFreeman69 said:
I'm trying to install a bigger HDD on my desktop computer. I've got an Abit KV8 Pro motherboard. I have a 250GB SATA drive in it right now with no problem. The SATA ports are 1.5Gbs.

Any ideas?

Perhaps my experience will help. I bought a Seagate 500GB laptop drive that required a jumper to force the drive into 1.5-level SAT because the Santa Rosa chipset in my particular Lenovo was limited to SATA I (1.5GB rate). This was the only way to be sure it would be recognized. As part of my research I spoke to a Hitachi engineer about their SATA offerings. Their 7K series does not offer a jumper block to force the SATA interface level/type. Although their controller is *supposed* to recognize the SATA type it encounters at spin-up, this engineer said that there are some SATA I systems in which the drive is not recognized. They would not predict which systems or chipsets have that trouble. (Natch)

This issue might not be confined to laptop chipsets and the on-drive controllers of the 2.5-inch drives I was buying. So, perhaps your new drives are not switching down as they should. More research might turn up a drive with the appropriate jumper control.

Good luck.

Jonathan
m
l
January 20, 2010 2:12:29 AM

Well I broke down and bought a SATA controller card and all is well.
Thanks
m
l
Related resources
!