Sign in with
Your question

New build problems =( Need some help please

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2008 12:08:29 PM

OK, so I built my new system last night and am having issues with the boot up (go figure, right?). Here is what I got:

Sapphire 4870x2
E8500
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler and retention bracket
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

This is what happens:
I turn on the computer, and it boots up to the Mobo load screen, upon which I can hit del, f12, etc. Then, after about 15-25 seconds, I get "No signal" on the monitor and lose picture. The computer is still on, and I hear no beeps from the mobo. Everything still seems to have power. I tried removing one stick of RAM to no avail.

Here is one thing I noticed: when the GPU fan kicks into high gear, I lose signal each time. I tried disconnecting the CPU fan to see if that was the issue, but not so. The room I am working in is set to 74F and I have a box fan blowing onto the whole setup for now while I am still debugging. Problem is, I don't know why (or if) the GPU fan alternating speed would cause a signal loss on the monitor.

Any help I can get, I would love. Totally stuck, and I really hope it is something stupid I have done.

More about : build problems

August 19, 2008 12:39:16 PM

Clear cmos for 10 mins, try each stick of ram in each slot, load bios defaults on POST.
August 19, 2008 12:46:03 PM

auscanzukus,

I am pretty new to all this, so be patient with me.

How do I clear the cmos for 10 min? I have already tried moving the RAM around, that doesn't work. One stick or both sticks seems to make no difference to the signal loss. I think I am loading BIOS defaults, as I don't get signal long enough to see anything to change.
Related resources
August 19, 2008 1:09:56 PM

Clearing the cmos involves taking out the battery on the main board. Owners manuel will give specifics. You might also be over-heating. Is your CPU heatsink/fan is installed correctly? Make sure it doesn't feel loose at all. Make sure you used thermal paste of some sort.
August 19, 2008 1:17:08 PM

Ah, OK, I know where the battery is, that should not be a problem. I used Arctic Silver paste on the CPU cooler, and I am pretty darned sure that I installed it properly. It is definitely not loose. Could a CPU overheat in 15 sec though? I am not even through the BIOS when I lose video, so I can't see the CPU being under heavy load and cresting 90C.

I won't be able to check the CMOS tactic until I get home (currently at work), and I will have to borrow my neighbor's laptop in order to troubleshoot online (I only have the one desktop now).

Any ideas on the 4870x2 being an issue? I noticed that some DFI boards are having an issue with the 4870x2, but no mention of the Gigabyte boards having problems.
August 19, 2008 1:19:16 PM

You mentioned removing one stick. If you haven't, try removing both sticks, but leaving one in and alternate RAM sockets. While RAM is probably not your issue, it's good to eliminate everything you can.

If you have another video card laying around, or a friend has one, try theirs. The card might be hosed. The 4800-series cards seem to spin up to max for a split second (at least my friend's 4870 does) so maybe some kind of initialization in the card itself is causing it to fail. Try the other video output on the card and see if that works.

Has it done this since you put it together? Have you been able to install Windows at all? Can you get in to the BIOS without any issues?
August 19, 2008 1:22:22 PM

Leo has a point about trying one stick of ram at a time and also trying another GPU just to make sure that your video card isn't bad.
August 19, 2008 1:23:34 PM

Sounds like the card might be bad/overheating...
August 19, 2008 1:29:34 PM

I did remove one stick and move the remaining over one slot, but I did not try all slots.

Sadly, the build I am replacing used a Radeon 9550 AGP card, so no luck on trying out my old VC. My card definitely spins up to max speed for a split second, and that is when the video signal is lost. I did move the video output, but no change in behavior.

I just put it together last night (exciting!) and it has done this every single time. I can't even install Windows, as I lose video and thus the ability to properly format and install any software. I can get into the BIOS setup screen fine, but once the GPU fan kicks full on, I lose video. I turn the computer off at that point, because I don't want to navigate the BIOS setup without being able to see what is going on.

I thought it might be heat, but the fan from the GPU is not blowing out super hot air plus I have another fan on it. If it is heat, that would be a faulty card imo, but I don't want to think that quite yet. I would hate to pack it up and send it back already.
August 19, 2008 1:33:30 PM

Did you plug the power into the card?

Your board has a cmos reset jumper. Its way easier then removing the battery. Dont ask where it is, read your manual.
August 19, 2008 2:00:09 PM

Yep, I plugged in both 6pin and 8pin power to the card. I am going to try another 6 and 8 pin set to see if maybe there is a flaw with the two I used. Doubtful, but worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip about the reset jumper. I should be able to find it just fine, no worries there.

Could the MB BIOS actually stop the video from transmitting? Not sure how I could update without video though.
August 19, 2008 2:02:07 PM

Try clearing you Bios through Cmos Jumper, refer to your motherboard manual for that(for location and how to use it, it is usually near the battery and it usually solves the problem). also it is not a overheating problem, you pc cant over heat that much in a matter of seconds. make sure all your connections are proper, espically the motherboard power ones. try putting and testing single component at a time. make sure the video connections are proper and you are not using a very old monitor. and finally make sure your card is seated properly and CONNECTED properly to your powersupply. :) 
August 19, 2008 2:13:41 PM

If you can get in to the BIOS you can specify where the default video is coming from, but it's usually automatically set to PCI (which includes a PCIE video card). If it isn't, you might want to make sure it's set to PCI.

I would let it run for a while even if it's not working, and check to see if the video card is running hot or even warm. Even if those cards aren't under load, they still idle at 65-70C which is hot enough to know if it's getting juice. It should burn your hand. If it's not hot, then your video card is most likely bad. Try removing the card and re-seating it, and yea making sure it's getting power is good too (as you've mentioned).
August 19, 2008 2:17:57 PM

I am going to try and re-seat the card when I get home. I will update if none of these ideas fix the issue. So frustrating to have such an issue...

Here is a thread on someone with a very similar problem to me:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2812654

He actually manages to get out of the BIOS sometimes, but while I am stuck with about 15 sec of screen time. Nice to know I am not alone.
Anonymous
August 19, 2008 2:22:59 PM

its the processor

the heatsink isn't mounted right I had these exact symptoms on my first build, take off your heatsink and re-install it with new thermal paste also make sure the heat sink is oriented the right way that can affect it as well
August 19, 2008 2:48:21 PM

I checked the heatsink about 3 times, so unless I have a grounding issue I don't know what else to do with it. And the board is not grounding out, just losing picture.
August 19, 2008 2:50:10 PM

Ya it oldnt hurt to reseat the CPU Heatsink, if you have new thermal paste. Do not reuse what you got. To little or to much will cause it to overheat.

The size of a bb or a grain of rice is all thats required.
August 19, 2008 2:55:59 PM

Maybe I used too much paste, I can check that easy enough I guess.
August 19, 2008 3:00:28 PM

It's easy to use too much thermal paste.
Anonymous
August 19, 2008 3:02:19 PM

The heatsink is probably oriented wrong... you can turn it 90 degrees, my first build it was off by 90 degrees and it would get into bios and then shortly after it would lose picture and the computer would still run, you take out the gpu and it runs fine....

I had the EXACT same issues, the processor is over heating and then shutting itself off to save itself
August 19, 2008 3:06:04 PM

Try change your moniter or try go to the safe mode
In safe mode window,try this setting,dont knw whether it will help or nt,atleast worth a try(go to display personalize-->setting-->advanced-->moniter-->change the screen refresh rate to 75 hertz.althought is a noob idea from me(just give a try)dont laugh at me^^just want to help
August 19, 2008 3:07:39 PM

just want to knw something,your pc got window or nt?
August 19, 2008 3:24:16 PM

@ thegrom, my heatsink is oriented so the fan that comes with it is blowing out of the back of the case. If I turn it at all, the fan would blow into the case. Maybe it is supposed to do that, but it seems like a poor design if so. The Xigmatek coolers don't strike me as such.

I will definitely try and turn it to see if that help at all. Maybe I can stick the stock cooler on and see if that works.

@ dandy, I can see if I keep picture long enough to alter the monitor settings. And I don't have an OS loaded at all, this is a completely new build, with a new HD. I am only reusing my case and my optical drive.
August 19, 2008 3:36:16 PM

I think that's the same HS I installed for my friend and yea the fan should blow through the sink and out the back, so maybe it's too pasty if your card is ok.
Anonymous
August 19, 2008 4:07:04 PM

the xigmatek cooler I think should be oriented so the fan pushes air through the heat sink and then out the back, so the fan should be on the side of the heatsink that is closest to the front of the case

it sounds though that the orientation is right so turning it 90 degrees probably won't do anything, I still recommend re-seating the heatsink just to be sure, if that doesn't fix it, you have something you will probably need to rma because nothing your doing is working, for me it was as simple as re-seating the heat sink
August 19, 2008 4:53:49 PM

when you installed the processor did you put too much grease on it? i did this one time had the same problem as you, the thermal paste got onto the contacts and caused the problem... check that out....
August 19, 2008 5:46:29 PM

If I have too much grease on the CPU, do I just wipe it off gently? Or is the whole thing busted?
August 20, 2008 1:56:29 AM

OK all, I have gone through every possible attempt and nothing is working. I get to hear the BIOS beep, then see a brief screen for the mobo, then I lose video signal because the 4870x2 fan goes into high gear.

I have checked the CPU cooler, checked the amount of thermal paste (I had some extra, wiped it off), reseated the RAM, moved the RAM, reseated the 4870x2, cursed and thrown stuff around the room.

I tried to reset the CMOS and no good. I have not attempted to flash the mobo BIOS as I can't see what I am doing.

Anyone with some thoughts? I am at my wits end.
August 20, 2008 1:11:45 PM

I am caving in and going to a computer store today to see if they can help me flash my bios with another PCIe card installed and then reload the 4870x2 once I have the updated BIOS.

If this still does not work...I guess it is time to return some items. :fou: 
!