Upgrading - power supply fine?

ioi1011

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade an old radeon x300 128MB to this nvidia 8800 GT 512MB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318

I'm wondering if my power supply will be able to handle it though - it's rated wattage is 460, but I'm not sure what brand it is (and I'm having a hard time finding out from dell support webpage). The comp is a pre-made dell xps gen3, with a dual core pent4 at 3.4 GH, and 4g ram (it was meant to be a work comp originally...). Looking at the various calculators for power supply it seems like it should be fine - the new card should take another 40 extra watts or so, but it would be kind of close. I also read on the manufacturer's site that the card requires 400 watts... I assume that was meant for a generic system+plus this GPU, not the card itself.

Are there any tools to identify how much power I'm actually currently using so that maybe I can get a good estimate on how much extra I have? Other then these calculators that are estimating?

Alternatively if someone can point me towards a less power-hungry worthwhile card that would be fine too (I only really want to run warhammer online well after all).

Thanks

ioi1011

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I tried that one, and it looks like it should be fine based on it (I think I ended up around ~350 with that tool).

How would I find out how many amps are on the 12v rail?

thanks

Okay I'm seeing about a 30-40 watt difference between the 2 cards. I'm findind it hard to see the actual specs of the PSU too, so don't feel bad. I believe (through my searching) that this PSU also is a server PSU too and is manufactured from Delta PSU, which is a good thing.
Using the Power Calculator, I get a total of 397 watts. That is with Pent D 3.4ghz/8800gt/4x1 gb's DDR/2 DVD drives/1 HDD/2 USB devices/90% system load and 20% capacitor aging (2 years worth of aging).
I think you should be okay with the 8800gt. If you have other GPU power questions, than look at the GPU Power consumption list. I have it in my signature line too.

P.S. I think the 4850 would be your next step up on the GPU level, but would be about 32 watts, which might be okay.

Read the label
460dell.jpg

You'll be fine with an 8800 GT

ioi1011

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Oh, you mean that label should be the same for my machine? I thought you were just putting up a random one as an example, thanks ;).

I'll open up my case to double-check in any case a bit later. The power supply is positioned a bit odd along the length of the tower in it's own compartment and you can only see one side of the label clearly so it might be a bit of a pain.

Thanks though, I guess I'll go with it, especially now that there is a rebate until sept 30.

Yeah, it's very difficult to find any information on that PSU, so that is why I asked where you got it. I wish there was a place online to browse through the Dell PSU's somewhere, but I'm sure they don't want everyone having access to their "proprietory" PSU's/mobo's/etc.