New build HELP OC

pij

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Hi guys,

You know what would be really good - a noobie guide to setting timings for ram and overclocking your cpu.

I have asked in a few forums how to do this but no luck so far. I know its a lot of testing crashing, testing stabling, testing ect.. BUT I don't want to get to 3.9 or 4.2! I just want to try and get around 3.6 and set up my memory timings.

I know there is many links on the first page and indeed on other websites but its all greek to me.... and before any suggestions on being stupid... I did manage to spend a few days reading guides how to stick a pc together and well... I did it!

All I was looking for was what options to change in bios from stock, what things to change/adjust and bingo - thats all. I know (well I think I know) what programmes to run after to check stability.

Any help would be great.

PJ

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
What CPU and motherboard are you using? I OCed myself without looking up any directions my first time around, but that was only a mild OC. It really isn't as difficult as it seems, especially if you are only doing a small OC.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You will need to download a system stress program. I prefer Everest ultimate home addition 5.30 as it has a built in core temp monitor.
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=&page=11&dlid=35&lang=en

Some prefer Prime95, but no temp. monitor. Which is OK if you have a program that will monitor temps.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=18

Find the CMOS jumper and read what it takes to reset your BIOS (you will need to know this when you get the famous BSOD and then your computer will not boot!

Go into the BIOS and make sure your memory has the proper voltage and timings, as to manufactures spec.

Then you can start 1 of 2 ways:
1.) Start by upping the muliplier .5 at a time until it will not boot. Then go back to the previous setting where it will boot and run a stress test stability.
2.) Drop the multiplier until it will not boot, raise it 1x above the minimum and then start raising the FSB 5MHz at a time until it will not boot. Then back it down to the previous setting that it will boot. And run stress test.

After this if you have any hair left post back and will give you instruction on raising CPU voltage

Have fun
UF

PS: Always Monitor Temps. The 955 has a rating of 62c (thermal protection should shut it down, if not shut down manually)

pij

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks man.

Don't I have to change the settings in Bios before I CHANGE THE ABOVE..??

I found this on the net....

Recommended BIOS Settings:

Disable Cool ‘n’ Quiet

Disable C1E

Disable Spread Spectrum

Disable Smart CPU Fan Control

Manually set Memory Timings

Windows Power Option: High Performance

??????????????????????????????????????

I don;t want to mess about unless I DO EVERYTHING i need to before I OC...

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Looks like you have.. been studying.
It is a good idea to do all those things you have listed, especially if you plan on extreme overclocking (ie... upping voltages to the CPU,NB,SB etc...). That said mild OCing and having the power-saving features enable shouldn't inhibit multiplier/FSB OC stability. Usaully C1E, Spread Spectum,and Smart Fan are not enabled by default. And Cool 'n' Quiet just won't work after a certain threshold is reached. Not sure about the Windows Power Option default setting, but you will want to set it to High Performance.