phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I just wanted to know if some of you with core 2 quads (9450 etc etc) are still going switch to a Core i7 rig? Im running a p145 and a core 2 quad 9450. I thought there was going to be a huge performance difference like the one the core 2 duo had over its previous cpu when it came out. Unless i sell my current rig i cant really see a need to spend the money to trade the 9450 for a 920. Are any of you still going to get one? Mind you i still don't have the technical in depth skills a lot of you all have

mi1ez

Splendid
It will provide a great increase in some areas (encoding, server apps, etc.) but less in others.

If you are a gamer, then the biggest advantage you will see going Ci7 is Crossfire or SLI setups.

_gs_

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I don't plan on switching...
The new nehalem require new X58 board which support 4 slots of PCIe...
If you just dont plan to use the 2 slots then I think it's just a waste, right?
Because I think that these 4 slots must account for the skyhigh price of X58 board... And to fill all those slots you'll need a lot of bucks...
Beside, the processor also cost very high....

chef_jd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I plan on going that route just because it opens up xfire and sli. With that option then it does not matter which vid card is best as I can support both in multi gpu.

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I don't have a need for sli. im not a hardcore gamer. I play Command and Conquer every once in a while but most of my work is media encoding (putting dvds on my ps3) I have never o really overclocked as well. I keep my rig at stock speeds(because of the lack of experience)

See do Legion Hardware allow cross linking:

http://www.legionhardware.com/Bench/Intel_Core_i7_940_920_and_965_Extreme_Edition/AutoMKV.png

Enoding/rendering benchie for I7..

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If you have one of the current Quads I would not get a core i7 yet.

The new boards that support the core i7, (the x58) allows sli or crossfire setups which is nice. Makes the battle of pairing up your graphic cards with your motherboar a lot easier. Like everyone else has been saying price is through the roof on this stuff. Tri-channel ddr3 is going to be pretty expensive. If your running sli or crossfire then you probally arn't on a tight budget so that would be the only real reason if your a gamer to upgrade to this option. If your a single gpu user, then I would wait till price comes down and the new P55 boards come onto the market.

If you're not a gamer and using this for encoding and stuff, then you will see a larger improvement in preformance than buying this for gaming. It might even warrent a reason why to get this on release day. Intel decided to target the bussiness market and produce the core i7 to fancy their needs. I am not saying that this will not increase gaming preformance but that the increase will be much more suginficant for bussiness type applications. Intel decided to do the integrated memory controler which lowered the amount of l2 cache the processor needs. This is what games rely on.

A few prelaunch bench marks though have noticed a large increase in gaming preformance however. This is mostly on systems that are running top end gpus in sli or crossfire. For gamers unless you are running tri-sli or quad crossfire then wait till the p55 comes out. There is not enough of a preformance increase to warrent getting the core i7. The cpu itself is about the same price of the quad's currently on the market but those will drop in price soon and the core i7 uses that expessensive ddr3, which is really overkill for ram when you do the math.