Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Newegg Return Policy on Video cards (also HiS warranty question)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2008 9:18:40 PM

I am currently looking to buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However, Newegg's return policy on this is their: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

The explanation of this seems a little more vague than it should be, and I just wanted to try and clear things up.

With my current computer set-up (I have a 350W power supply) I'm worried that perhaps I couldn't run that card. If it happens that my current power supply can not run this, for instance, what can I do? It sounds like I can't get a refund, but I could get an exchange. However, an exchange for something that doesn't work because of my power supply won't work if I return it.

HiS has a 1-year warranty they say, but I'm not sure I'm finding a huge explanation of what that actually covers.

Basically, if my computer can't run it for whatever reason, am I stuck with it (and need to get a better power supply), or can I somehow return it to them, maybe even for credit to get another card maybe? Just wondering if you guys might know about these two company's policys, since I'm hoping to order it today so I get it as soon as possible.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2008 3:16:01 AM

Newegg is basically telling you that you will not be able to receive a refund on this product. Also you only have a 30 day to exchange it if the card was to fail, otherwise you need to rely on HIS's 1 year warranty.

HIS's 1 year warrant basically guarantees that within 1 year from the purchasing date the card is free from defects.

Generally speaking a 350w PSU should be enough to power the card, but that depends on:
1. Make / model and the available amperage on the 12v rails.
2. All other components in your PC.

To find the make model and specs of the PSU open the case and look at the sticker on the PSU. Below is an example of a PSU's sticker:

You are concerned about the 12v rails. As seen from the Seasonic S12 330w PSU it has two rails. 12v1 and 12v2 maxes out at 17 amps each, but you cannot simply add them up. Look below the two 17A ratings and you will see that the combined rails can produce about 256w of power (it's a bit fuzzy, but I believe I am correct). Divide that number by 12 (volts) and that comes out to 21.333 amps maximum output.

==========================================================================

The Radeon 2600XT's primary competitor is the GeForce 8600GT. I would pick the faster 8600GTS over the Radeon 2600XT, it is also much less expensive.

Below is link that compares the 2600XT to the GeForce 8600GT and 8600GTS (amongst others). The 8600GTS uses slightly less power than the 2600XT.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd2600xt-gddr4_5.html#sect0

You can buy an 8600GTS for $50 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106791921+1067928567&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&Order=BESTMATCH&srchInDesc=
September 15, 2008 3:17:49 AM

8600gt does not have a agp version, only pcie. So it wasn't a choice in this case.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2008 6:40:54 AM

Hmmm...

AGP...

Oh well...
!