P5Q no beeps, guessing faulty

kevin1212

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
New build and the motherboard will not post (ASUS P5Q). I get no beeps, no video, and the case speaker is fine. It happened when I first bought it, I thought that either the motherboard or power supply was faulty, but then I recieved my new ram (OCZ OCZ2RPR800C44GK), and tried it and it worked, so I thought that the old ram was the problem. But I also recently got a new cpu and case. CPU upgrade was from an E6400 to an E8400. Rebuit the system in the new case with the new cpu and had the same problem as before. So now I am thinking that the ram was never the problem. Also, half of the times i turn it on, the gpu fan is spinning at max. I saw some forums about the no POST and gpu fan issues where the memory voltages were the problem, but if I cant even get into the BIOS, I cant change anything. Also tried using a single ram chip hoping to at least get into the bios to change the voltages, but that didnt work either. I tried just about everything, including re-using the old hardware that was working, even tried booting without the ram to see if i would get some beep sequence, but got nothing. All I can conclude now is that the motherboard is faulty. Is there a solution that I am missing? I'm thinking that if it worked before it can work again. Thanks.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hmmm,

Is your CPU cord from PSU properly plugged in? Is it damaged in any way?

I've noticed in ASUS motherboards wher if a part is installed (lets say ram) but not correctly, then it will not post, not beep or anything.

So here is what I would do if I where u.

First I would clear CMOS. (remove m/b battery and change the jumper from 1+2 to 2+3... leave for 15 seconds and place it back to 1+2)

If no dice

Strip everything not needed out of the machine.

use on board video, 1 stick of ram (if you have 4 ram slots, 2 yellow 2 black make sure it is in a YELLOW DIMM) no hard drive, no disk drive no cd or dvd drive.

make %100 positive the ram is in all the way.

Also, I just thought of this after typing up all that, but you might want to try this first... I thought of this cuz u said u got a new case.

Take your motherboard out of the case and try it on a peice of cardboard. Something on the back of your motherboard might be touching the case grounding it out or something... I heave heard of this happening and people needing to place washers / spacing in when instlaling motherboard.

So take you motherboard out of the case and try it like that. if it beeps, or boots up you know that was the issue.