E6600 OCing

Yeah, OK... so this question is coming a little late...

But my I just recently replaced my MB and decided I'd like to OC my CPU a bit. My current system specs are...

Intel E6600 2.4Ghz (B2)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB
8Gb Abit DDR2 800 (5-5-5-12)
Geforce 9800GTX
Win 7 RC 64bit

I don't have a spare aftermarket cooler and was wondering how high I could safely OC my E6600 without increasing the Vcore. The stock cooler should be fine for now as long as I don't mess with the Vcore. Right?

Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about e6600 ocing
  1. jeverson said:
    Yeah, OK... so this question is coming a little late...

But my I just recently replaced my MB and decided I'd like to OC my CPU a bit. My current system specs are...

Intel E6600 2.4Ghz (B2)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB
    8Gb Abit DDR2 800 (5-5-5-18)
    Geforce 9800GTX
    Win 7 RC 64bit

I don't have a spare aftermarket cooler and was wondering how high I could safely OC my E6600 without increasing the Vcore. The stock cooler should be fine for now as long as I don't mess with the Vcore. Right?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/233434-29-overclocking-e6600-stock-cooler

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/204186-29-e6600-stock-cooling-done

check these threads out.. :)
  2. Thanks for that. Unfortunately those aren't very detailed. I was able to get it to 2.76Ghz so far. It crashed at 2.8Ghz (while running Prime95 for 64bit) and wouldn't post at 3.0Ghz. I guess I'll need to get a better cooler so I can feel better about adjusting other settings like Vcore and what not. If anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  3. jeverson said:
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately those aren't very detailed. I was able to get it to 2.76Ghz so far. It crashed at 2.8Ghz (while running Prime95 for 64bit) and wouldn't post at 3.0Ghz. I guess I'll need to get a better cooler so I can feel better about adjusting other settings like Vcore and what not. If anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What motherboard do you have?

What are your temps like?

You should be able to go into the 2.8 ~ 3.2 ghz range with that chip before you have to raise the vcore setting above the VID for your CPU. There is really not a whole lot to worry about with raising the vcore just a little.. I run my Q6600 with a VID of 1.3250 @ 1.36825 and i have my FSB set at 1600mhz multiplier is 8x so i get 3.2ghz and thats not a whole lot of voltage increase for such an overclock.
  4. x-nitrous-x,

Thanks for the advice but I have tried several settings and I can't get the system to post beyond 2.76Ghz. Now I may need a BIOS update but last time I checked their installers didn't work under Win7 and I don't have any floppy discs laying around to try their floppy option. Once I find a way to update the BIOS I will try it again. Thanks anyway.
  5. I did it. I downloaded and installed Gigabytes EasyTune6 app (yeah... i know it's cheating) but it managed to OC to 3.2Ghz. I ran Prime 95 for a bit to see if it was stable. It didn't crash but once the CPU hit 60C I stopped the test. Don't want to burn it up. Will go higher and test longer once I get a better cooler and thermal paste. Thanks for the posts.

Oh yeah. Managed to update the BIOS as well. That was a bit of a pain. Hope they come out with some Win7 compatible updaters soon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Cooling Overclocking