Visiontek 4870x2 noise while under load. Help?

wutlol

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
At first I was trying to figure out some info about a high pitched noise when this card is under any kind of load. It's a cross between a whine and a humming sound kinda like if something is rubbing against a fan Which seems to be normal for high end cards for the most part?

I'm not worried about it as much since I'm starting to have another issue with my card (I think) After playing COD4 for about 15-20mins I get a constant beep coming from the system. Something 100% different from this humming. Its very hard to pinpoint the source but I think its the video card because the second I tab out to windows it stops. While this is going on I have no performance issues. The system seems to be running fine?

This is very frustrating. I am trying to contact Visiontek about this but I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I'm going to push for an RMA and quite frankly I hope it's the card. I really don't want anything else to go wrong with my new build. :fou:

Anyone have any ideas of whats going on?

System:

Mobo: GA-EP45-DS3L
CPU: E4500 @ 2.93ghz
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212
RAM: G.SKill DDR2 1066
HD: WDAAKS 640
PSU: Silverstone DA800 800w
VIDEO: Visiontek 4870x2 [using drivers from cd]

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
If the sound you're hearing is like a sound of a jet turbine engine. It should be normal...... Otherwise, try downloading RivaTuner and then using that program, set your video card fan to 100%. Then lower it to 50%, if the fan noise has been greatly reduced, I think it is normal.

PS. I think the constant beeping is NOT from your video card but from your motherboard, I think it's overheating, to verify download one of the system temperature monitoring tools and see it immediately after ALT+Tabbing out of the game. If it's 60 degrees celsius it could be causing the beeping sound. Which is your CPU warning.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Good point. On most motherboards, the top pciex16 slot is right next to the northbridge heatsink. I've always wondered how heat rising from the belly of the card's pcb would toast that chipset. :na:

wutlol

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Well I just tabbed over and the motherboard temp was 39c. core 1 and 2 were at 41c. Video was 72c fan speed at 55%. Tabbed back over and played for 10 more mins. Then the sound returned. After about a minute or so of me trying to figure out where its coming from it went away on its own. Without me tabbing back to windows? :heink:

wutlol

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Wow. I just found out where the sound is coming from. My UPS battery back up. :lol: I guess all this juice my system is sucking up is straining my battery backup.

wutlol

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
A capacitor could be making the first noise I was hearing but the prolonged beep was coming from my UPS battery back up. I just happened to look down and the red fault light was flashing. I unhooked it and plugged the computer into the wall directly and I have yet to have an issue yet. Other than the clicking and the humming which is normal from what I hear other people say. I rand 3dmark 06 and my scores actually jumped up 200+ points or so.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
High pitched noises relating to cpu, ram, or graphics cards almost always comes from the capacitors. My card does it noticeably when the frame rate climbs into the thousands during loadings, can barely hear it even if I try during gaming. A few of the 680i boards from evga were particularly known as "squealers" when the cpu was under load. Shouldn't be anything to worry about unless the noise is so constant and loud that it impairs your gaming experience.

jbrinkley

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
I have the same problem right now and it results in overheating of the video card followed by a resultant crash. The high freq squeal comes from the video cad AND the power supply. When it happens, the auxillary power connectors for the video card heat up as well. This is my second video card and motherboard so I'm beginning to think the culprit is the power supply. Unfortunately, I think it's a flaw in the design of the PS since I have dual power supplies and both exhibit the same issue when I roll the video/MB load over to it. Cheap power supplies....

G

Hello,
I'm an electronic student from Iran . The problem refers to the psu. As you said the sound comes when you play game then your psu goes under pressure.
I think your power has for 12v lines and their ampere is not enough for your graphic card . Try to you use new versions of power supply with high ampere capacity that use two 12v lines . The sounds comes from PFC core in your power supply that shivers during game to provide enough volt ampere for your graphic card, and since your vga takes more ampere , the PFC goes under pressure and makes sound.

fortunately. It does't make any change in fix voltage of your system .
You can send your PSU to the company and change a new version if They support.

Bob's you uncle!

My system

Quad 6700
Asus P5qc
2* ocz 800 working in 1.9 v clokced
club 4850
case Tuniq 3
hdd 500 maxtor
green gp 685b real power supply

http://www.green-case.com/products/power/index.html

G

THANK YOU!

I've had the same problem for a while now and I never thought to look under my desk at the battery backup! I have cruised tons of forums and the almighty google searching for an answer, and sure enough 10 minutes into gaming when I started to hear the beep, I looked under the desk and saw the little red light was on!

That makes me feel better, Thanks again for that. Whew, I thought my computer was on the verge of being toasted!