Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OC e7500 w/ msi p43

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 28, 2009 9:56:26 PM

So I got an e7500 bundled with MSI P43 Neo-F a couple weeks ago for $100 and have been tweaking it a bit, all with success, but now I'm stuck.

My original OC was completely stable:
FSB 328x11 = 3.61ghz
Ram @ 1:1
Vcore = auto = about 1.32V
c-states off
This was giving me temps <41,37 idle and <53,50 load (using prime95) which is all good, but with c-states off I'm running Vcore at a constant 1.32 so I was trying to find a decent oc with it on so it can power down in idle.

This is what I'm currently running:
FSB 328x11 = 3.61ghz
Ram @ 1:1
Vcore = 1.33V
c-states on
Now I'm using it now, so obviously windows boots and everything but core#1 fails prime95 after an hour and core#0 passes after running for a little less than 3 hours. Temps stay the same as above.

So my question is, can I have the luxury of using c-states while getting a decent overclock. I've tried a whole lot to get a stable overclock with c-states on. Computer doesn't boot with Vcore lower than 1.275 for any fsb so I'm stuck with a pretty high voltage. It seems like 1.32v should be enough considering it works fine with c-states off. Are there any other tweaks or considerations I'm not taking into account?

here's my system for reference:
e7500 w/ cooler master n520 hsf
msi p43 neo-f
4gb corsair xms2 pc2-6400
9600gt
80gb caviar blue
320gb maxtor
550w rosewill psu
xp sp3

edit: Added os to system specs

More about : e7500 msi p43

a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 12:27:18 PM

I know you feel since I am stuck at 3.6ghz with my e7200 but the idle temps are higher than my older 65nm e6400.
October 30, 2009 7:45:40 PM

nforce4max said:
I know you feel since I am stuck at 3.6ghz with my e7200 but the idle temps are higher than my older 65nm e6400.


Yeah I was concerned about idle temps too so I posted a thread and someone said that there seems to be a threshold for the lowest temps displayed in temp programs. I wouldn't worry about as long as your load temps are reasonable. What voltage do you use @ 3.6?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 8:08:48 PM

chowmanga said:
Yeah I was concerned about idle temps too so I posted a thread and someone said that there seems to be a threshold for the lowest temps displayed in temp programs. I wouldn't worry about as long as your load temps are reasonable. What voltage do you use @ 3.6?


For the e7200 its 1.320v to account for vdroop but on the e6400 (B2) I can manage the same clock at 1.45v~. What pisses me off about the e7200 is that unlike my e6400 intel used only cheap thermal compound instead of solder between the core and the ihs thus 15c higher idle temps and 5c higher load. Same cooler same board.
October 30, 2009 8:21:36 PM

nforce4max said:
For the e7200 its 1.320v to account for vdroop but on the e6400 (B2) I can manage the same clock at 1.45v~. What pisses me off about the e7200 is that unlike my e6400 intel used only cheap thermal compound instead of solder between the core and the ihs thus 15c higher idle temps and 5c higher load. Same cooler same board.


Interesting.. I did not know that. I just assumed it was soldiered on. Does that mean we can fairly easily remove the heat spreader and see the die itself?
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 9:04:41 PM

chowmanga said:
Interesting.. I did not know that. I just assumed it was soldiered on. Does that mean we can fairly easily remove the heat spreader and see the die itself?


Yes so far as I have read up on several forums but only if you got the tools and a steady hand. Intel is just to pricey while cutting corners for a easy profit now days for me.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=18...
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/305443-ihs-removals...

But remember only do so at your own risk and that only you are responsible for your own actions.
October 30, 2009 9:30:34 PM

nforce4max said:
Yes so far as I have read up on several forums but only if you got the tools and a steady hand. Intel is just to pricey while cutting corners for a easy profit now days for me.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=18...
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/305443-ihs-removals...

But remember only do so at your own risk and that only you are responsible for your own actions.


Haha I realize that. I have no intention of removing the heat spreader, just asked because it seems dangerous if you could. Lapping the cpu alone already frightens me. Yeah it is a shame that intel is cutting corners like this, especially in the shape that they're in.

Geez, everyone in that thread has a lower VID than me.. mines 1.2875V. Then again, e7500 is clocked higher at stock so that could be why. Still, its at the upper range of intel's specifications.
!