lcd monitor with vga connector only

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone here knows why some manufacturers of lcd monitors offer smaller models (15" to 17") with only a vga connector? Is there any technical reason for this? or is this simply a way to entice consumers to but bigger lcd screens that do have dvi connectors?

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
out of curiosity i just pulled apart a refurbished envision 22" with VGA only. the lands and contact points exist for the DVI connector, but unfortunately there are other chips missing as well. I did a very quick look around for a replacement video input board so i could add the dvi, microphone, speakers, or even USB features, but was unable to find a board or one that was remotely close to the pin out i have in front of me.

So in short, Money, and all old systems have VGA Only, no dvi.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Times are changing, all new monitors are DVI or HDMI. All the new video cards are DVI or HDMI out, you have to use an adaptor to go to VGA.

Expect all monitors in the next two years to be widescreen too. CRT monitors aren't being made anymore except for specialty needs, and their prices will skyrocket.

Forget VGA forever. Like a VCR etc.

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
well if you are looking for monitors which has only vga,
I know several Viewsonic models that has that,,,

but remember that donumdrum is right.

forger the VGA , the DVI has the advantage.. and the worlds keep chasing the technology .. so keep that in mind.

Noam

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the info. But I would like to clarify that I'm NOT looking for a vga only lcd monitor. In fact I would prefer to have a dvi monitor. I have simply observed that a lot (if not all) of the lcd monitors in the 15"-17" range (in my country) appear to have only vga connectors and not dvi. When I asked a few sales people, they replied that only the bigger 19-20+" lcd monitors had dvi connectors.

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
hi rrr.
I was looking to buy a monitor lately (the DELL 2408 is my choice)
I was testing and viewing a lot of monitors.

and I'm kinda agree with them.. most of the people are buying 19" or larger LCD monitors.. I havent noticed 15-17" monitors that have DVI (except a few CRTs)

Noam.

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Following up on my original query, I'd like to know this: Assuming I had gotten a LCD monitor but due to budget constraints I got one that had a vga connector only, how will that affect me if I purchased a good GPU down the line (say a 8800GT or 4850)? Also if I used a VGA to DVI adaptor, will that have any effect on my ability to go to a higher resoluton or even an ablility to watch HD video?