6gb vs 12gb ram

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

From what I know, 12GB will not offer much in the way of day to day performance, unless you are doing very memory intensive stuff, like multitasking with photoshop and video editing simultaneously and such. And generally the more sticks you have, you will need a voltage bump to obtain the same speeds/timings, so 6GB should suit your needs in any but the most extreme cases.

jay4digital

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Thx, i'm mainly building a new pc for extreme overclocking and performance, and i read somewhere that the 12gb ram gave lower cpu overclocking values than the 6gb. That is for the cpu, because i'm looking to get to nearer 5gb with i7 920 as possible

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
The less the better when EXTREME overclocking.

When i do my dice/ln2 stuff i only use one stick of ram because the cpu has to go all the way out to the last slot if you use all 6 slots. But if you only use the first slot it has to travel half the distance.

jay4digital

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Thx a lot, I can see you've reached some very impressive values, roughly 5gb on air. I hope i can get there since i'm using the same mobo, classified evga sli. And i will be using liquid cooling on cpu and northbridge. So it looks like 5gb is kind of realistic.