renshammar

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Is my Q8200 supposed to be this hot? (Core Temperatures):

While gaming: 55-65 C

While surfing, chatting etc. : 50-60 C

All my fans are running as they should. I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be this hot, or if it's something wierd.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's too hot. It may be affected by the quirky DTS's on the 45nm core, but I don't know whether that is the case or not. You will need to read the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide and test it using Core Temp under Prime95 small FFT load. You may need to re-seat your HS, the push pin mounting design is crap. The XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 with the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket (Backplate) works well as an alternative. If you decide to use it, then be sure to cover the whole CPU IHS with a very thin film of TIM, because the heat pipes don't allow for proper spreading through contact.

BeowulfNode

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I think there's something wrong going on with one of our Q8200s, however I don't have any others to compare it with.

I think HWMonitor and Speedfan are being lied to with one of our Q8200 cpus. Bios reports idle in an air-con office of 29 degC for CPU after sitting there for 20 mins in bios, although this is likely the MB CPU sensor and not core temp. Then in windows both HWMonitor (from cpuid.com) and speedfan report temperatures of 50 degC or higher while idle, then when under load reaching 65 degC for some cores. Although speedfan and HWMonitor report temperatures that differ by 5 degC.

So thinking that yeah maybe with a stock cooler this might be so, so I stick a Zalman CNPS9700NT CPU Cooler on it thinking this will drop the temp by at least 10 deg, but no such luck. When it's loaded up it's still reporting 60-65 degC for the core temps, but when I touch the heatsink base when it's operating like this, it feels cool (note 60+ degC should burn your skin off)

The pc is an MSI P45-8D Memory Lover with
- 120mm PSU fan
- 120mm Case exhaust fan
- 80mm Case intake fan
- nVidia 9800 GT with stock cooler
- no overclocking

This is a problem because it's shut the PC down after sounding an alarm (solid tone) while the worker was on lunch.

Think I should take the CPU back and say it's faulty?

BeowulfNode

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
its a quad core. case closed.
My Q6600 at home core temps idle at a much lower temp of approx 30~35 degC, and it's using a stock cooler...

[edit] forgot to mension that with the Zalman cooler it's still idling at 50 degC.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
On a side note, that link you provided to that MSI board had a nifty video on it comparing their DrMos Mosfets compared to regular ones used by ASUS. The results were pretty suprising, espically with no heatsinks on.

G

Umm...I have had my Quad core running in Games for the past 4 hours and my max temp right now is 38c

Although I am using Artic Cooling MX-2 and a Vigor Monsoon III LT. for 6 hours i watched it run in the bios while at work and our room in there is at 69F and the temp never went over 25c.

So no dont blame it on a quad core. blame it on setup and maybe faulty software reporting the temps.

thpsmike

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Umm...I have had my Quad core running in Games for the past 4 hours and my max temp right now is 38c

Although I am using Artic Cooling MX-2 and a Vigor Monsoon III LT. for 6 hours i watched it run in the bios while at work and our room in there is at 69F and the temp never went over 25c.

So no dont blame it on a quad core. blame it on setup and maybe faulty software reporting the temps.

Umm..... Different Quad Cores have different specs. Some will run hotter than others. So blaming it on the quad core is a possibility.

The Q9550 will run hotter than a Q8200