is this build ok? and anything else i should add?

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Hi,

New here! I just have some questions about this system I'm have planned to buy and build at the end of this month (and before I go to uni). Here are the parts:

Motherboard: XFX nForce 780i SLI

RAM: using my existing 3GB (2x1gb, 1x1gb, brought them at seperate time) corsair value selects at 667mhz

Processor: intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.40 ghz (might overclock it once i learn how to)

PSU: corsair TX 750 watt to power the 2 gtx 260's (it's enough right? or will the 650 watt version be sufficient?)

GPUs: two gainward gtx 260 (I originally was going to buy just one but after working out some money I can get another and go sli, I always wanted to jump on the sli wagon for a long time anyway)

Case: using my old atx case, i think the gpus might just fit if not i have another spare atx case which is bigger, i would love to have the nvidia version of the cooler masters cm-690 case but i cant find one online (i live in the UK)

Hard drives:using my current 250GB hitachi deskstar 7200rpm (not too bothered about higher speed ones)

Optical Drives: NEC Optiarc DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer

PCI components: A PCI wifi card, using it temporarily while I'm at home

CPU Fan:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (i read many people use this along with the q6600), the CPU is a OEM so i had to get something to replace the stock intel fan.

Other Fans:at the moment i have two 80mm fans (in my current system), one sucking air out at the back of the case and another sucking air in through a filter (my room is really dusty) from the side straight to the CPU. however, there are more holes below the side fan which I can easily mount a 120mm fan too (not originally intended for a fan though). if heat is a problem from the GPU's I can also do a but of DIY and drill more holes in my side panel for more fans.

My biggest question is will everything work nicely together? This is my last upgrade before moving out to uni and I wont be upgrading during the 3 year course (3D Design), I also have one shot to do this, as I'll be trying to get my driving licence in september as well as going to work everyday up to the day before I move out so I'll be really busy.

in terms of the PSU, i have enough connectors for its current setup, the four 8 pin (6pin+2pin) are taken up by the two gtx 260's so that leaves me eight 4 pin molex for fans and other stuff. the dvd drive is sata so thats fine too.

What else should I look into or buy?

Thanks for your help!

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Recommended minimal is 500W for 1 card. If the card is factory overclocked, it may be 550W. By my calcuation, that rig in SLI will use less than 500W at stock. Go with the 750W for a bit of upgrade/overclocking room.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_gtx_260.html

Yes, the build will work. My only concern is heat. You want SLI & overclocking. 80mm intake & exhaust won't cut it. You'd be wise to pick up a mid atx tower with 120mm intake & exhaust minimal. The gpu can heat up to 100C each. And the cpu at 60C+. If the pc overheats and dies, you'll lost a thousand dollars worth of equipment. For what? Saving $50 on a case?

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Any of those cases will probably be better than the one you already have. The Antec 900 is highly recommended around here.

If you're already spending all that money for an sli GTX260 setup, why would you reuse your old DDR2 667 when you can pick up a 2x2GB kit of DDR2 800 RAM for £50 or £60? With the Q6600 at stock speed, you might not notice much of a difference (the Q6600 has a FSB of 1333 so it'll run 1:1 with 667MHz RAM), but as soon as you increase your FSB a little bit your ram will start holding you back.

Also, the standard recommendation around here seems to be to go crossfire with an x48 mobo and either dual HD4870s (or HD4850s if you want to save some money) or just get a single HD4870x2 and add another one later.

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
i actually just brought the ram about just 2 weeks ago when i couldnt cope with running vista ultimate running on 1GB but if the 667 ram would be really bad i could aways sell them on ebay. so if i did which of these would be a better replacement? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=8&rows=0&sortby=priceAsc

minimum i go now is 2gb but since i have 32 bit vista ultimate I cant use more than 3gb, how much difference is there between 667 to 800 ram and 800 to 1066 ram onwards? and would having 1gb in each of the 4 dimm be better than two 2gb in 2 dimms?

on overclockers.co.uk, it says my processor is 1066FSB, not 1333FSB.

thought about 4870 CF, two gtx 260 is till cheaper than two 4870 but a single 4870x2 is only a a penny more expensive than two 4870s. i'll be playing games at 1440x900 max, i wont go any higher either, games i plan to play at the moment is crysis, bioshock, COD4, assassins creed and company of heroes Team fortress 2. in those games at 1440x900 which setup would be the best? and if i did get a 4870x2 would it fit in any of those cases? what about the temperatures of 4870 in cf compared to two gtx 260s and a 4870x2?

the nforce 780i sli costs the same as a DFI LanParty LT X48-T2R, so if 4870 in crossfire with a x48 board is better than a nforce 7 board with two gtx 260s i will switch over. i originally went for nvidia because of the cuda (i do (and will do more) a bit of video processing and waiting for the badaboom converter) and physx. i dont know from the top of my head but there isn't something like that for ati's right?

as i said before this is the last upgrade for the next three years so i want something that is a bit future proof, im upgrading from a pentium 4, 3ghz (from a 1ghz athlon) so i want it to have the best performance, power saving (moving into private housing in my second amnd third year so electricity bill will matter) and best support. i also just upgraded from a 256mb ati x1050 to a 7900gtx (which i am selling for £55, anyone want it?) as well.

this is how much the 3 setups would cost:

gtx260slinforce7ks6.jpg

x484870crossfiredw8.jpg

x484870x2iz3.jpg

So £861.10 for nforce7 gtx 260 sli setup
£884.60 for x48 4870 crossfire setup
£884.61 for x48 4870x2 setup

The price for all 3 setup might go up a bit or down depending on the combination of the RAM and case, possibly go with the antec 900 but i also like the jeantech aqua (has a 120mm fan) because of its butterfly design and seperate motherboard tray along with the detachable hard disk cage.

im using my current sata hard drive and i won't be changing it, other than that the other parts are pretty much stuck.

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I really don't have any idea where I got the FSB speed from. So since you already have the 667MHz RAM, I don't know if it'd be worth the hassel to change it to 800MHz. You'll be able to get a decent OC using your current RAM. I guess just leave the 667 RAM and for some reason you decide to go crazy with your OC, £50 or £60 is a pretty cheap upgrade if you need it.

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
honestly im not really into the whole OC thing, i suggested it only because the build can. at stock im pretty happy and im not someone who tries to turn everything on max and still complain. i mean, that build is enough to last me for a while, right?

so yeah, my mind is set on everything except the ram and case. if i can sell the current RAM on ebay i'll get something faster.

gpu, i have decided to stick with the gtx 260s because of cuda and the fact that they can control the amount of power they use depending on their use.

im not sure which case to get still, i want soemthing not too big but with enough airflow and fits two gtx 260s, its now between the jeantech aqua (but it only has one 120mm fan), antec 900 which seems massive compared to my current case or a thermaltake soprano/tsunami dream or the akasa infiniti zor which has good cooling.

i need a bit of help choosing which case!

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008

You won't see a great benefit with crossfire or SLI at that low of a resolution. I would go with a single card. Your best bet would be a 4870 or if you have the money, a 4870x2.

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
is there anything like CUDA for ati cards? and a case, i really need help choosing a case for either of the three setup!

thanks!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
Antec 900, 1200 Coolermaster Cosmo S

those case are good for great cooling but case is more of a taste of the person.

CUDA is only for Nvidia graphics card so you sacrafice one or the other. so i will get the GTX280 as it works the same/better then AMD card under 1920 resolution. and you can get CUDA as well as you requested.

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
okay, i have decided to stick with the first setup purely of CUDA and with the antec 900 case. one last question, im seeing on some videos that the freezer 7 pro cooler wont fit on some motherboards because of the large northbridge cooler, so will it on the 780i?

i'll post some pictures when its finished! should be in about 2 weeks! i cant wait!