crackling sound issues with my X-Fi

Kortoim

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
hi

Im having crackling/popping sound problems with my Creative PCIE X-Fi sound card. Both in games and Windows in general. Also, each time I restart or switch off my computer(even outside Windows), there is always an annoying popping noise. I've tried updating BIOS and changing slots but it made no difference. Any help would be really appreciated.

My system:
X-Fi Extreme Sound
Q9550
Asus Rampage Formula ( latest BIOS version 410)
Vista 64
4GB OCZ DDR2 6400
two ATI 4870s in crossfire

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
As Aevm said... latest drivers...

What PSU are you using. and does the onboard sound work ok?

Is the card really close to either of the GPUs?

Kortoim

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Yes, I have the latest drivers and a 1000W Corsair PSU
Oddly enough I had the same issues with onboard sound.

Anyway the crackling isn't that frequent, so I guess Im just being
too sensitive

One other problem though : whever I switch off my PC, there is always a loud popping sound through the speakers. Does anyone know if it's normal?

It depends on how loud it is, I guess. I used to get that with an older PC and speakers, but it wasn't really loud and annoying. I just ignored it, and nothing bad happened. That PC would still work, except it's a Pentium 3 and I haven't turned it on in a long time.

Borrow somebody's speakers or headphones and see if it happens with those too, then you'll know if it's the speakers themselves or the PC.

All Creative cards have issues on certain board (especially Nforce chipsets and Biostar motherboards). Your only option (other than put up with it) is to use onboard sound, or buy a non-Creative sound card.

If you buy another card, I highly recommend the Razer Barracude AC-1, which you can somtimes find for as low as $89.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
How are you getting your sound. IE...do you use speakers or headphones and where do you plug into?

I agree with aevm though...test out different headphones/speakers to see if it them or the sound card. Seems odd that you get it from both onboard and through the card. Could very well be a speaker/headphone problem.

As a side story, if I use my headphone jack that is on the front panel of my case, I get the same crackly noise. It is useless. I think the jack is just messed up on the front panel. Using the back panel is 100% clean. I am wondering if the jack in the sound card has faulty wiring or is just dirty inside. If you jiggle your speaker/headphone cable does it make a lot of crackling noise aside from the normal noise?

If you are using speakers, I noticed that when mine are practically touching my monitor I get some fuzzy noise.

Also, check on creative's forums. You will probably see a lot of similar problems like yours.

Again, its a compatability issue that exists on all of Creatives cards. I've been on them about this for months. They claim its an issue with Nforce chipsets, but other motherboards (Biostar confirmed so far) also have issues with most of Creatives offerings.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I dont see how it can be a compatibility issue when it happens with the onboard as well...

1. As spinacheater suggests make sure your using rear ports not front IO, some are poorly shielded.

2. Same again speakers close to any type of interference should move them away or try different speakers.

3. Try removing one of the GPU's and see if this helps.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I also have the crackling issue with the same card. Have done since the day I got it. Go onto Creative forums and you will see its a very common problem.

Also change your speaker cable.