The greatest Unsolved Motherboard Problem in the history of computers

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
This is the biggest and most unsolved problem computers have ever seen.

"The infamous"Only one stick of ram works.. doesnt matter what ram, just 1 stick at a time."

I have been doing extensive research about this error and have found some interesting reslults.
This problem is plaguing every motherboard type. Even mac's

AMD, Intel, Mac, I have found many cases of this problem occurring.
So far I have found over 60 different cases of people on the internet or people in real life with this exact problem.

This problem has been around for a long time.. I have seen people with Pentium 2's back in the day with this problem. With one ram stick in (No matter what size) it would run,with more than one, it would take like 5 to 10 restarts just to boot... and if it did boot it would crash or give BSOD.When customers come to me because there computer wont boot, but it turns on, 99% of the time if I pull all the ram sticks out but one it will start up.

I have searched and searched and searched for answers to this. I have never seen anyone one out of all the cases I have seen solve this. They all had to replace motherboard. I bought a motherboard, brand new ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE. worked for 2 days then did this.Thing is.. it only does it with a AMD Phenom 9950 BE.nnany other kind of CPU works fine.I even had my CPU tested at a computer store. It worked fine with 8 gigs ram.

So I now am on a mission to figure out what this problem is.

It is not about just fixing my computer and getting it running. It is about figuring out what this problem is, because no one else ever has. I want to make like a sign book where people can sign it if they have ever had this problem before.

Also , to people who's machines once worked fine, and now powers up, but doesn't boot try taking out all the ram but one stick... it works a lot.

I am lucky where my problem is isolated to just 9950BE and the 9850BE. anything else runs fine.Other people tho have it with every cpu.So now I gotta figure out what are the exact differences between 9950BE - 9850BE to the 9700 nnwhich is obvious.

the BE!! the be versions are unlocked modifiers. so, maybe something in bios, or the hard ware that controls that is defective or damaged?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am going to contact multiple motherboard companies and inquire about this issue. As well as AMD and Intel. I am going to make it a school project and fully investigate this. The problem is somewhere betwee The BIOS controlling to psu and cpu, The memory controllers on the cpu, to where it connects to the motherboard, to where that goes to the ram DIMM slots, and back to the CPU. Also it is a part that is present on all kinds of computers , intel amd and apples.How can it be hard ware problem if other cpu's work fine, and some don't? How can it be bios if it works for a while, days, weeks, years, then decides to do this? One thing is for sure. This is the biggest unsolved computer problem, and If someone could figure a way to fix this problem, he or she would be a very rich person ;)

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
That was really strange.. for a while my post had tones of

\r's and **** like that in it..

even if I edited it, it was still there...

so I checked on IE (I use FF) and it looked fine.. then I checked again on FF and it was fine.. weeerrriid

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I've faced the dreaded "one stick of death" before, I booted with one stick, went into BIOS, raised the vRAM to about 2.1 or 2.2v and loosened the timings a little and voila, problem solved, I've only faced the problem once though, but it's worth a shot IMO.

Ohh yhea, the forum as been sputing some random /r/n/r/n stuff lately, it's kinda annoying.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I will try that good sir!

thank you.. I tried it at 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 but nothing higher.

I will try 2.1 and 2.2 and let you know how it worked

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Tried changing voltage to memory.. nada

I tried down grading my bios (because 1602 is brand new.. maybe buggy)

didnt work.. now I cannot put it back to 1602 because when I go to the flash tool in bios it says "may be too many bin files in directory, exiting flash tool"

word for word what it says. wtf

so Now im thinking i might buy a Athlon64 6000 125watt cpu, and use that instead,

and buy a different motherboard for my quad... I got enough left over computer parts laying around that if I got 1 cpu and 1 motherboard then I could build a second computer :D

My dual core will be for gaming, and my quad core will be my multi media and office machine :)

N@n0

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
timeing error... seen it alot when someone buys the second stick at a later time, the timeings differ on the two stick's... thats why they work seperately but not together. :)

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Its not a singular problem, it is a singular behavior with multiple root causes, which is why nobody has found the magic cure-all. Removing modules from the system would have the same effect as removing complexity elsewhere when there is a problem. e.g. removing PCI cards when the system doesn't boot.

Each module adds electrical and capacitive loading. If two modules are not configured suitably, removing one will alter the electrical and capacitive loading on the memory controller. The window for tolerance widens and the system works with one module. If you went back over all of these cases and checked the hardware details, I believe you will find an over-representation by memory modules that grossly exceed JEDEC specifications. i.e. overclocking or performance enthusiast memory product lines

These products are extremely variable in their timings, voltages, and latencies at any given frequency and DRAM loading configuration. The SPD is often programmed to boot at one profile long enough to get into the BIOS (JEDEC compatibility), but will NOT run at the advertised speed with these SPD values. The very purpose of these products is to violate the standards so it is practically impossible to have them "just work" using auto-detect settings.

These products require custom parameters to be selected by users who know what they are doing. Unfortunately, all that is required to purchase these products is the money - knowledge or competence is optional - and with predictable results. There are plenty of cases where the BIOS has bugs with particular memory configurations, the risk for which only increases the further the hardware departs from the specifications or standards, but mostly its going to be a case of PEBKAC.