just built a system having some problems

enfo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I just put together my system and everything booted up, as i was installing my xfi drivers and the computer crashes halfway and restarts. Now in my bios earlier for some reason my cpu temp was pushing around 70-72C, and when i checked it after the crash it was 80C+. When i start it up it goes past the windows xp loading screen and then a blue screen flashes for a second and it restarts again. My mobo temp is around 40-45C.

my build is:
e8400
p5e deluxe mobo (x48 chipset)
asus radeon 4870
4 gb OCZ Reaper memory ddr2 1066
800 watt psu
Western digital 250 gb hdd

Nothing has been overclocked. I have looked around and seen that the e8xxx series has some heat issues or bugs, but nothing similar to what i was seeing. Just want to know what some of u think maybe the problem, if it is the heat, or something else.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
What HSF do you have installed? Have you checked to make sure the HSF is still secure. Maybe reinstall the HSF with new thermal compound. If it is the push-pin type sometimes the pins will come loose .

enfo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
it was the push pin type, using the stock hsf that came with the processor. Ill reseat the hsf and see if it works.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This definitely looks like a CPU overheating because of poor heat removal. While you're checking the HSF mounting, make sure its fan actually turns fast when you first turn on power.

If you get it running, check in the BIOS setup screens to make sure the CPU cooling system is set to run that fan at full speed above some reasonable temp like 45 C. Most BIOS's are set that way by default, but check anyway. Would not want to have the fan running slowed down with a hot CPU.