traiur

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
All right. So I got all my computer parts in the mail today and set up my computer put it all together. Then I go to hook the monitor up to the computer to start the BIOS and I realize I haven't done my homework.

My MB is a MSI K9A2 CF and it doesn't have a VGA out. It has 4 USB ports a cat5 a serial out and audio outs and ins. My monitor is VGA. My video card can output VGA but when I try to do that the monitor receives no signal (I haven't been able to see the BIOS to set it up or install the OS and therefore have no drivers.

So obviously I have a little problem here. I cant get to the point where I can use my videocard to output to the monitor without a monitor first. Im at a loss. My freind told me of monitors you can run off of USB ports but the monitor I wanted to upgrade to later doesn't have that ability (I dont think). Is there a way to use the serial port? Or am I actually just screwed with the setup I got or something. I cant find any adapters that help and Im at a loss.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
What monitor do you have? Graphics card? Please post the complete system specification. Maybe the problem is not with your graphics card/monitor. Did you install a couple of components like motherboard,cpu,memory etc? Make sure all the power connectors are plugged into the motherboard properly and that the motherboard isn't make a short against the case anywhere.

traiur

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
videocard is a HIM Radeon HD4850 I don't have the other components in front of me.

Are you saying that I should be able to use the VGA out adapter on the video card without installing the drivers for it? Because the MB doesnt have one

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Yes well it doesn't matter if your motherboard doesn't have a video connector since you are using the connector on your video card aren't you?

traiur

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Alright I did some jumping around on the internet and get it now. Yes I am trying to use my Videocard. It has an adaptor to use a VGA out cable but when I plug the monitor in I just get the "No Signal" msg (so it isnt the monitor).

When I turn the rig on, the cpu's fan spins up, the videocard's fan turns on, the light on the back of the videocard turns on, the Disc player's light turns on and the tray works, and I think I can hear the HDD spin up though its so quite Im not 100% sure.

The LED's on the front of the case do not light up so Im going to unplug them once I get back home (classes started today so Im on campus) Another thing is that the front power button does not turn the system of, I have to use the PSU switch.
This is my system:
MSI K9A2 CF
AMD Phenom 8450 Toliman 2.1GHz
750W ATX12V
mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
SAMSUNG HD642JJ 640GB
Radeon HD 4850
LG GGC-H20L 16X Blu-ray/HD DVD drive

Oh one possible question. The PSU has a 20+4 pin and the 4 pin cam attached to the 20pin. The MB has a 24 pin power input so I plugged it in there. But it also has a separate 4 pin and mentioned that it could use the 20 +4 pin or the 24 pin setup. Should I switch it so that the 20 pin is in the 24 pin slot (showed how to in the manual) and the 4 pin in the 4 pin slot? or keep it all in as a 24 pin.

The MB is up on spacers and other than that Im not sure how to check for a short. Im going to reseat all the cards and connections although it looks like everything in the case has power. It just isn't giving me a screen.

traiur

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Well I fixed it. One of my * pins was a 4/4 pin plugged her in and it worked fine.

Problem now is that when I try to instal my soundcard's drivers, it tells me that there is no hardware that is supported. No huge deal. Its just a thing I had lying around and the MB has onboard sound. But the card is a little bit better so it would be nice to use it.